1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help bidding

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Hometown Lawn C, May 20, 2009.

1. Hometown Lawn C

Hometown Lawn C Junior Member

I am bidding a lake community for snow and ice management, they will buy the salt it is 18 miles of roads most are secondary, and most are 1to 1.5 passes, salting is minimal does 45000.00 sound reasonable?

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

if they are buying the salt, who decides how much to put down? How many trucks are you using and how big?

that seems high to me. it seems that you would just give them an hourly rate times the amount of trucks plus the rate of a loader. Figure you are running 3 s/a trucks at what 130-150 an hour for say 3 hours and a ss for 100-150 an hour for the same hours...whats that...
    2400 or so on the high side for a salting aplication.

I would shy away unless you are supplyig the salt...there is no money otherwise.

3. Hometown Lawn C

it is also for plowing

4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

well that is different.

what are you using to plow and salt? how fast does it need to be done. what is the trigger depth? how are you billing?

5. Hometown Lawn C

Iam using 2500Hd silverado 8.5ft Fisher V, 3500 chevy dump 9ft fisher, V10 f350 dump 8.5 western, allw/full v-box spreaders, both dumps full time, Silverado , when i can get there. salting at dusting, plow at 2 inches. Billing starts in november ends in march,

6. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

well if there wiling to pay 45000 then ya i would talk to them and ask around to see what they payed before

7. Hometown Lawn C

I dont know if i want to start asking questions like that just yet, they want a whole lot of work done besides plowing

8. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

If they buy the salt, then who is responsible if and when it runs out? Do you not get paid then if they estimate too little and there is none left the last two months? I would try to gain control of all of it since we are supposed to be the service provider and experts.