1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help bidding!!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Trucut21y, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Trucut21y

Trucut21y Junior Member

Hows it going im wondering how much someone would change to bid on this post office. they want per inch with sand and salt. its not that big probably would take 25 mins + - if someone could help me and give me a rough idea on how much they would charge also they want per 1-3 inch. thanks

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

Including sand and or salt and shoveling ramp:
  3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

1-3 $45
    3-6- $60
    6-9 $75
    9-12 $100
    12 + $125
  4. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

What's your minimum?

Have you calculated your minimum costs per hour for your company? If not do that first. That will take the guess work out of your bidding and give you the confidence to bid any job on your own.

If you want help with that, we can help.
  5. Trucut21y

Trucut21y Junior Member

How do you calculate your minimum costs per hour.? Thank you for the help its really appreciated!
  6. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

We make it simple

We offer a CD called "Know Why You Charge What You Charge". It is an excel spreadsheet that you simply fill in the blanks with your company information. It is not software, so there is no need to go through that learning curve.

We also offer a snow & ice management package that once you have calculated your cost per hour of operation you can bid your jobs with the confidence of knowing they are accurate. You can find it on our web site or give us a call to answer any questions.

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package Includes:
    #1 Snow & Ice Management Manual – this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of over 20 templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who’s first, proposal formats, don’t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD – calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it.
  7. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

If everything is paid off. Costs are less becuase you dont have to pay interest on those things. 45 around here for 1-2 would be fair
  8. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

You are right

However, even though things are paid off right now they will need to be replaced down the road. Truck, plow, spreader, etc. So even though you do not have all the costs associated with purchasing right now you will at some point in the future. Take that into consideration when you are calculating costs per hour of operation and you will be more successful and profitable.

If you do not give that any consideration now, when it comes time to replace equipment or increase labor rates your clients will be under-bid based on the margin you want to achieve.

I made that same mistake myself the first nine years we were in business and it made it really hard getting our clients to the right price after the fact.