1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help Bidding First Commercial Lot

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Harford13, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

I've subbed for others, and done residential plowing on my own for two years and I've been asked to submit a bid for the lot in the picture. I will have on truck w/spreader and one blower (two guys) dedicated to this lot. Can you guys help me with time and avg salt per application. All of my residentials are priced by push, I think my best bet is to do this one hourly plus salt and shoveling/blowing. Any Help (positive) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The Lot.png

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Pass on it grasshopper.

3. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

And in case I forgot to ask, positive help only please, no I will not pass on it I don't need to hear the million reasons why people think I should pass on it, I have heavy equipment etc... I can take to the site if need be, I can see where your going.

Positive help please

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry,maybe you should of said you have other equipment ,not a truck and snowblower.

5. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

I have access to a wheel loader, skid steer and another truck if needed. One truck and one extra man dedicated to that site should be sufficient

6. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Can you get a bigger pic and show where you pile the snow so we can see how far you have to move it that will help with a time figure

7. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

You are going to be busy for quite a while with only one truck and your ground crew. Are they open to your input with regards to where to put the piles? I see 4-6 spots that you can put it.

8. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

Here is a bigger photo

photo[1].jpg

9. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

If you have plowed commercial for someone else you should have some sort of a idea on how much time you think it should get done in? what’s the sqft of it, are you having to sand or salt it? Are you doing the sdwks? I'm thinking with all the islands and the areas you are allowed to pile it in. my thoughts are 3- 4 hrs two trucks, that’s pushing past the curb not leaving trail offs or crumbs. and not plowing like a mad man. What time do they want it done by? what’s the trigger? how fast can you get those other resources to that lot on a bigger storm? on a continuing snow storm you will need more than one truck there to keep up to get it push off in a timely manor.

10. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

That lot is just over 2.5 acres just parking then add in the drives. I would say that would take you 5-6 hours with a truck alone there is a ton of curbs. If you could have a loader there for the entire storm ith a pusher you could cut your time drastically but if not then i would say pass on it! Not trying to be negative or a dick but grow your business and bid on it in the future i know it would be a money maker for you but if you take it on and cant do it to there requirements and they go with someone else you will play hell trying to get it back since people rarely remember the good jobs but never forget the bad ones!

Like i say not trying to be a dick but it may be best to pass on it for now!

11. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Sorry just read back through again and seen you have acsess to a skid too. With a truck loader and a skid if your sure you can have them all there on time and they wont be tied up then you should be fine but there is no way you can do that in a timely manor with just a truck

12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I agree a truck and skid with a box you are fine I would guess 3 hours with both
    Just a truck I'd doable but all your eggs are in one basket it might take 7 hours whonwould wait longer than that to be plowed