1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help bidding apartment lot

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by pashtrd, Jan 19, 2008.

1. pashtrd

pashtrd Member

The manager / owner of the apartment i live in is looking for bids for remainder of this year and next year for snow removal. I have an 01 Dodge Ram with a 7.5' Western conventional plow. He really likes the idea of me doing it, cause i live there and he knows i would do a better job than the current company. Wich from what i understand is a contractor with subs, and they send out different subs everytime it snows. They have never done a real good job IMHO.
    heres the lot, snow can be pushed all the way back, and to the left. Also allowed up front by the entrance to the lot, but the dumpster area must remain clear.
    we average 50" of snow a year mostly 4-6" or less at a single event . He is looking for pricing per push as well as per season. I am new to this, i have only done residential driveways in the past, never anything like this. There are 4 cars parked that do not move. I will be able to clear the majority of the lot with my truck, and cleanup areas near cars with my ATV. Currently all that is done is the lot, the manager does all the cleanup. The manager does not live here, and has to drive here to do the cleanup. Wich would be the sidewalk and entrances to the buildings (5 of them).

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=r4t6yk7p8n8z&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=5436527&encType=1

2. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Is it just the 1 bldg lot or is it all of the Apt bldg's lots around it? That will make all the difference. Let me know and then I can give you an idea.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

You're going to want to get wings. Pushing that with a straight blade is going to suck (and take forever).

Assuming you have wings, 45 minutes or so to plow it. Your shovel guy would be done by the time you finish plowing.

usually we push apartments twice. once early morning down the main drive pathes and sidewalks and such so people can get out. Then we come back after most of the cars are gone to work during the day and clean the rest out. (all our apartments currently are hourly, so this works, not sure how this would work with a per push price).

4. pashtrd

pashtrd Member

It is the lighter colored backward L shaped lot only. The one centered in the pic when it loads. The current plowers only come once, and leave snow everywhere, they plow with straight blades, takes them about an hour, with no cleanup.

5. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

I would say a minimum of $100 per Push With a $50 charge for the maintaining with shovel and ATV per storm. As for the season I usually average it out to say 10-12 storms per season and multiply that by 1.7 percent of the per push price.

6. pashtrd

pashtrd Member

Can anyone supply some pics of wings? I want to make some, but need to know where to start, and what they do.
    Thanks
    Matt

7. LoneCowboy

[​IMG]

Any plow distributor should have them. They cost about $300 bucks or so and take a few hours to install
    they make a HUGE difference in productivity, esp where you can't winrow the snow and need to push it to one end (like this building above)

Search on this site, there are tons of threads on them.

8. pashtrd

pashtrd Member

I know a distributer will have them, But is there a reason i cant make a set?
    I just built complete a plow setup for my ATV, installed a conventional plow on an 01 Ram, no mounts available for that.. I am cheap, and want to put as little into this as possible, until i can afford to buy the plow i want. I have plans to upgrade my plow in a few years, i dont want to stick anymore into this than is necessary. But i also want to be as efficient as i can.
    I work at a steel shop, and love to fabricate things. I just need to know what it is, what it does, and a picture to help me. I searched, but did not come up with much. any links you can point me to?
    Dont mean to sound rude or anything, But i know i can make them for next to nothing. That ATV plow i mentioned, the blade is Stainless, mount is steel. total cost involved including a brand new Superwinch was $75.
    Thanks
    Matt

9. pashtrd

pashtrd Member

So if i am looking at this right. Wings are pcs of rubber set at an angle? With a steel backsplash that connects to the blade? Heck I have a 7.5 ' Rubber cutting edge that came with my plow, i can cut that up and use it for the wings, fabricating some steel for a backsplash. I bet i can build a set for less than $20. Is there ever a time when you dont want them attached to the blade? I see they are made to remove easily with 3 pins, how oten do you remove them?
    Thanks
    Matt

10. LoneCowboy

more or less
    pieces of steel, supported front and rear by the plow and the rubber is the cutting edge
    they are set slightly forward to create a "scoop"
    They are held on by pins and take about 30 seconds to take on and off.
    I almost never take mine off.
    They could certainly be easily fabricated, there's nothing complex about them.
    Find someone's (or go to the dealer) and take some pictures and measurements.