1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help bidding a private road in maine

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by platinumdetails, Sep 22, 2010.

1. platinumdetails

platinumdetails Junior Member
    from Maine

Got a call to bid on a private road right near my house. The road is dirt, about 3 tenths of a mile and maybe 4 trucks wide. much wider then most private roads around here. no mail boxes to worry about and about 6-8 ft extra on each side for the snow. b4 the tree line. 10 houses on the road will be splitting the cost and i may get a few of the driveways. I do mostly residential driveways so this has got me stumped on where to go with the price. He wants to see numbers for a seasonal contract and per storm. No salt or sand for now but might change his mind. Any info you could give me would be helpful.

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

make sure if you get it to put a foil on your blade, if not, anything over about 8mph and the snow coming over the moldboard will blind you. Roads are fun and simple, no stupid backing up.

Charge $45 per trip, sounds low but they'll jump on it and probably give you the drives, or charge $85 and tell em for every driveway that signs up with you, you'll take $5 off:D

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What town?

Gravel or tar?

Flat or up/downhill?

Why is it so wide?

4. platinumdetails

from Maine

Poland. Gravel and its flat, with some curves and i have no idea why it that wide. i would say 4 pickups without plows wide. So what do u think?

5. platinumdetails

from Maine

Now are you talking about 45 per storm or per visit? But i like your idea for getting the driveways also

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

As a really general guide, use $130 a mile for a one- or one and a half-lane road. Sounds like you have a three or four lane road, so triple to $390/mi. You said 3/10 of a mile, so you're looking at about $40 (a trip).

Actually, I'd probably look at a minimum charge. This road may be wide, but it's really short. It'll be harder ti plow than "long and narrow".

7. Grn Mtn

Wow Mick, your numbers are spot on:D

good point about the harder to plow, thats why I added the $5payup Honestly though its not going to be that much harder, and just think by the end of a good winter, it will be down to just 2 passes:laughing:

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ask yourself this.... Do you want to plow 8" of concrete out of there for $40?

9. Grn Mtn

2 things: 1, what do you mean? and 3, not sure about Maine but around here people don't like to pay for roads, seriously you drive up drop the blade and don't think twice- roads are fun and if he prices right he'll get the driveways AND since he IS the town plow there will be no call backs for the bottom of the driveway:laughing:

10. Mick

from Maine

I was thinking of that when I said "per trip". It really depends on the situation. No more than that's going to be, it might be worth it. It's only 3/10 of a mile.

11. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Platinum,
    I'm in Auburn. I can say from experience you can charge more then the $45. You and I know people don't like to plow outside of L/A and If you decide to do it, charge a premium. You'll get it! I'd find out what their expections are? trigger depth? ect..... I was thinking if its not too much of a pita road, I'd charge $100 per push (with the 10 houses that breaks down to $10 per house) and take off (like green said) $5 for each drive you get... it sounds expensive but trust me you'll get it... I get calls ALL the time to plow sabattus, lisbon, minot, poland, mech falls.... but I won't do it....too far for me and they wouldn't like my price anyway!

12. Mick

from Maine

I defer to local experience. $100 for 3/10 mile? I'm ready to move to Auburn. I lost one 7/10 of a mile at $50 to someone who "gave us too good a deal to pass up".

13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Mick, move OUTSIDE Auburn... I couldn't get those rates in town......LOL

14. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Wow that's cheap! I just lost a 2 lane 1/10 of a mile asphalt private road this year to a guy that bid $100 per push and last year I got $130. Just goes to show again to the newbies asking "how much should I charge" that different markets are WAY different in price. Good thing you guys are in his market and know the area to help him. I like the idea of discounting for each driveway that signs up, that should help land it. Good Luck Platinum :drinkup:

15. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I do a few of the same length roads, one I charge $2200, another $1800, and another at $1500 per season. Then there is one that pay's $75 per storm up to 8", $125 up to 12", and $180 to 18". Windham is infested with private roads due to the building boom we had over the last 10 years. There is no way in hell I would ever plow any of them for $40 per trip.

Another thing to think about is pushing back the banks. I know it's wide, but there is a reason why they forked out the $$ to have it that wide, you may want to ask why. It would be in your best interest to line someone up with a wing setup now, just in case you need them through out the season, it may also effect how you price it, or word your contract.

16. platinumdetails

from Maine

Alright guys thanks for the pep talk. Iam going with micks 100 per push with grn's 5 off per house. ur right mick they will pay here in poland. So off i go to finish my quote. U guys are great. Thank you:bluebounc

17. platinumdetails

from Maine

So does that mean ur interested?? Iam looking for someone to push them back throughout the season. And they r willing to pay for it outside of the contract payup

18. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Not I, I don't have the wing setup on my rig. I sub mine out to Tandberg here in windham. I don't think they travel as far as Poland. Groover....or whatever their name is out of Gray maybe able to hook you up. If not, P&K sand & gravel will.

19. platinumdetails

from Maine

Sounds good. :drinkup::drinkup:

20. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Platinum,

Keep me in mind should you need skid steer work done or sanding of that private drive, as long as its not snowing. I don't like to move my loader off of the account I have it at, but I trailer the skid around to various places during the winter. payup

Sorry no wings for the trucks though.....

Mike

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010