1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help bad might up messed up a western pump cable opperated

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bigmudder77, Sep 23, 2008.

1. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

ok so it wasnt going down and i took the screws off the top and there were magnets well some how the thing came up and the magnets got all messed up and now all its doing is smoking and making the wires hot

did i mess it up or can it be fixed?

also why wont it go down?

or would it just be the time to get a new one?

i only use it for my drive way so i was thinking a wench will work right? there like $50 for 2000lbs so that should be good cause i can pick up the plow blade by my self not all the way off the ground but in the air so no way its 2000lbs

let me know asap cause if i can fix it ill do that but i need to make it go down also since it wont and i hooked up a chain and a boomer thing and still nothing looked like it wanted to bend it so i let off

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Sounds like you took the top off of the motor, your not supposed to do that :cry:.

Start with replacing the motor and then let us know what it is doing, the more info the easier it is to diagnose. Angles, doesnt angle, raises, wont raise, does the motor run while trying a function?

3. bigmudder77

from wooster

it all just fell out lol

but it didnt angle didnt go down just went up and stayed up

then i took it a little apart to see if i could like release some thing to make it go down and the motor thing like came up and well ya the magnets i have no clue how they go back on and there stopping the motor from turning and making it smoke when i try to raise it

also have no clue where the things from the cable box go but i did only see it work when they were grounded so i hooked them to the battery ground and thats how i got it to go up but nothing went down

im on the cheap right now with bills and trying to buy a house so how much is a new motor? cause i was looking on ebay and they were over $100 used

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You should be able to take whats left of the motor to a starter repair shop and have it rebuilt. Then go to westerns site and look under the technical section for info on the cable operated pumps.

5. bigmudder77

from wooster

i went to the western site and this is what i got

http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/64318.02_060105.pdf

didnt really help me too much

but do you know how much it is gonna cost me to get it rebuilt? or should i just sell it and get a winch for an atv and make a bracket and do pretty much the same thing

i mean its only for my drive way not road use so the winch thing isnt looking to be too bad of an idea since i can get a winch for $70-120

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It wasn't much help because its an owners manual for Unimount plow...not a mechanics guide for your cable operated pump.

This is the correct manual: Cable operated pump

And although it wont help you with the brushes or their correct placement as it doesn't cover that, it will help you to diagnose your original issue, which was the lack of drop...which also has nothing to do with the motor btw. ;)

If the motor worked previously I wouldn't even bother to have it "rebuilt". Simply remove it and take to a local electric motor/starter/generator shop and have them properly reassemble the motor. Cost should be minimal..

Then you can get back to your original issue...which is likely only due to a broken or mis adjusted control cable. Use the manual, it will guide you through the diagnosis/repair procedure.

7. bigmudder77

from wooster

i know it has nothing to do with the motor i just took the screws out to inspect it and the thing came up and messed every thing up

do you know how to wire up the cables that come out of the controll box? i know it says ground one and the other goes to the solnoid but i have 2 cables coming out of the cable box and dont know where to put them

are they both a ground? is only one a ground? where would be a good place to put them?

8. bigmudder77

from wooster

[​IMG]

there is what it looks like now

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

10. bigmudder77

from wooster

THANK YOU much better but i still have to get the electric thing to work before i can do any thing else