1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help axle swap!!! Asap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by palatineplowboy, Feb 3, 2013.

1. palatineplowboy

palatineplowboy Junior Member

i have a 1999 gmc 1500(nbs) z71 with a blown axle blew it the other night plowing, it has 3.73 gears limited slip and i think its the 8.5in 10bolt i found a 2003 1500hd with the same gearing and limited slip and all but im not sure if i can bolt it right up to my truck is there any difference in the 1500 axle and the 1500hd? i need to do this asap since we have more snow coming this week any help would be great thanks!

p.s. they both are 6 lugs and disc brakes

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Did you just destroy the ring/pinion/carrier?

If so, I would just pull the axle apart and fix the components.

Setting the lash is the hardest part, but as long as you look at the spacers on the old carrier and pinion and put the same ones on the new one, you should have no problems.

3. palatineplowboy

palatineplowboy Junior Member

it ate up all the teeth in the diff i found a 1500hd axle for $500, this is the second 10 bolt thats this truck has gone threw i think they are just weak and have heard better of the 1500hd's also i searched all the stuff to just replace the gearing in the diff and itd cost me more than the whole axle i found, which also comes with a warranty

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The 1500HD axle should be a 14 bolt semi floater. Your truck has a 10 bolt semi floater so it's a totally different axle. Also the 1500HD frame is different then yours so I'm sure all the mounts and such on the axle would be incorrect. Along with needing a different yoke and other small stuff I'm sure.

Are your 10 bolts blowing up from the G80 posi traction deciding it's done?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's 6-lug it isn't originally from an '03 1500HD, they're 8-lug (8600GVWR). Might want to double check what you're looking at.

6. 992door

992door Junior Member
    from NC

Find out if the axles are the same width and find out if the spring perches are the same width as what you have. If it is a 6lug 14 bolt sf there is a conversion u-joint that you can buy. I know you can swap a 14bolt sf into OBS with only a conversion u-joint

But B&B is right 1500hd came 8 lug

Do you have a picture of the axle?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013