1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help ASAP!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sam973, Sep 16, 2004.

1. sam973

sam973 Member

Hi guys. I recently ordered a 2005 F 550 for the purpose of putting a dump body and plow on it. I got it with the automatic and the hot shift PTO provision. I asumed you would be able to run a dump body pump off of this PTO. Turns out it only makes 80 foot pounds of torque and the pump need at least 120. So I'm in a bit of a bind. I've never had much luck with electric lifts and was hoping to avoid one. The other option I have is to go with a central hydrolic pump off the motor, but I don't know if one is made for a F 550. I kind of remember seeing one on here a while ago, but haven't been able to find it. Could use some help if any one has an ideas?

2. bterry

bterry Senior Member

CPSS replyed to a post of mine with this post.

I tihnk he's talking about the hydraulic clutch pumps I found there.

I can't tell you anything about these and/or if they will operate your dump.

Good luck.

3. sam973

sam973 Member

Thanks for the reply terry. I don't know how that would all go together though. It would be one of those one of kind completely custom deals. I'm trying to find a something made for the ford specifically. After calling around different places all morning I found out that Ford is aware of the problem and is suppose to be working on a remedy to bring the torque up to 150 lb/ft. I wish I didn't have to have a truck that cost over 50 grand sitting at a body company. If I had known the auto would have been so much trouble I would have gone with the stick. Anyone else have any ideas?

4. bterry

bterry Senior Member

No problem, I was pretty sure you weren't going to like that solution, but it was the only thing I could find on those belt driven pumps. I don't blame you for not wanting to hack something together on a nice truck like yours.

5. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

I think my local ford dealer has a 550 with a dump and plow prep. I'm in central NY. I can check to see if they sold it. I think the price was under $40K. Let me know if you want me to check into it.

6. sam973

sam973 Member

I already own the truck, I just need to get the body lift figured out. It would be helpful if it had the auto and PTO just to see how they worked it out. I apreciate the help. If I had to guess they probably went to an electric lift. I realy didn't want to go with the electric because in my expierience they are slower, weaker, and don't last as long. Thanks for the help.

7. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Where in NJ are ya, Im in Northern Morris County, Kinnelon Area.

Jeff

8. sam973

sam973 Member

I'm down a little bit, by Morristown.

9. Stripe This

Stripe This Member
    from NJ

Warnock

I have an '04 F-550 w/ the electric hoist. I've seen the hydro lift, although quicker, it just seems to be more of a PITA. Did you pick up your 550 at Warnock in Mo'town? That's where I picked mine up and the body company, DeJana, seems to put a nice body and hoist on the trucks.

As for my F-350, I bought that in Butler at Rt. 23 Automall and I've had problems w/ the body lowering because they gave me a gravity down instead of electrically powered down. They saved a few bucks at the body company and screwed me big time.

10. sam973

sam973 Member

yep thats where its from. As for the PTO problem its been resolved. Ford is going to be releasing a flash for the transmision that will up the torque output on the PTO from 80 to 150 foot pounds of torque. This takes care of my problem. I'm getting the body from a different company out in Levittown PA. Its going to be a custom dump body that they're making from scratch. It should work out well. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of next weak. Lastly I'm leaning towards the 9ft. municiple duty fisher plow.