1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help and opinions on a new setup

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mtlstorm, Sep 18, 2011.

1. mtlstorm

mtlstorm Junior Member

Hi ,
    I want to apologize in advance for the imperfect english it is a second language, I will try to do my best tymusic

I operate a snow plowing business in montreal canada. We do about 50 clients and we use a 2006 f 250 extended cab + a fisher 7.5 hd plow. This setup has worked really good for us in the past but now we are looking to expand and had a second truck to the fleet.

Ideally I would like something a bit smaller because we often have to work in tight area and the 250 is sometimes a bit too big.

I want a truck that is easy to drive around and I am maybe looking for putting a backdragger on it also. The plow will be another fisher 7.5hd.

In wich direction should I be looking. I am guessing a used GM or chevrolet 1500 reg cab might do the job ??? Maybe even a ram 1500 ? are those powerful enough ?

We do some steep driveways ( hill driveways that go down in the ground , How do you call those exactly ??) and I know those are hard on the truck tranny , will the 1500 be able to do a good job like my f-250 on those.

My first idea was to get a second f-250 reg cab since I know those truck well but I am thinking I might be better serve with a more compact shorter truck and I might even be able to afford something newer. I might be wrong.

I want to keep my options open, and really eager to hear you guys suggestions.

My budget is maximum 20 000 $ for the truck

For those of you that use backdraggers, are those expensive and witch one are used more often ?

Thank very much in advance
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A 1500 is just as big as your 250. if you want small go with a ford ranger with a back plow.

You can speak French on here there are a few guys who are from your area.
  3. mtlstorm

mtlstorm Junior Member

Thx ,
    I think a ford ranger would be way too small for my application. The 250 is a really good truck , I just find it a little big. I am sure a regular cab 1500 or ram is smaller. Are those trucks good plowers. Basically If I gain 1-2 feet I would be really happy.

U use ranger with backdragger ?

Also those 1500 trucks are cheaper , so I could get away with a newer vehicle.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I like my 250 and have no problems in tight spots.

No ranger for my but I have seen some with one on them.

Check out the Canadian weather thread.
  5. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Are you considering a new truck because someone will be using it for a personal vehicle as well as working with it? If not, why not consider a 4WD tractor with a reverse blower on it. I understand that you can lease the tractor for the season but have to buy the blower. 'Neige' does a lot of driveways on the South Shore and can give you more accurate information.
  6. mtlstorm

mtlstorm Junior Member

Yeah that was one of the options I was considering. It is just that the season is coming soon , and figuring out the whole tractor thing seemed kind of big. My new plan was to have a second pickup and then next year look into tractor for a third vehicle if things work well. But it is still an option. Can you guys give me a rough idea of the cost involve (I will probably visit the dealer this weekend) but just an idea and some info would be nice, I see guys with kubota around here . I am also thinking that inverted blower might not be able to do the same kind of job on some location the the pick up ( I applied for a commercial job that requires a pick up ) , going close to cars in driveways etc...

I know I will probably use tractor in the future but not sure if it is the right time this year....

My options are still open tough.

In terms of pick up what would be a nice second ride ? I am looking a bit at reg cab 250 nowadays but is there other nice options? are the 1500 trucks any good for plowing ?

7. mtlstorm

mtlstorm Junior Member

For the tractors folks what are the best compact tractor for plowing driveways ?? kubota ?

Like I said I mostly do driveways I do not want nothing too big....

Are you guys using inverted blower and can those work close to cars and garage door as well as a pick up ?

Are they operator friendly , are they more productive then a pick up for driveways ?
    What kind of investment are we looking at ?

I am getting really interested in tractor since they would open a new world of possibilities for the business but I do not know nothing about them and #%@$# winter will show up fast here.

Thx for the insight
  8. tavisj

tavisj Junior Member

I use a Kubota 5740 with a Normand 74" inverted, with the hydro back blade. I think that it is the perfect size machine and blower combination for us. Last year we did 100 plus driveways including a condo unit, and it worked out perfect.
    The kubota 5740 is a hydrostatic drive, very user friendly and easy to get used to.
    I have never used a truck and plow, but this size tractor and blower works well near cars etc. It is small enough to work in tight spaces yet big and powerful enough to do medium lots and our long large driveways, even with 2 feet of snow and drifts.
    Tractor - 40,000 ish
    blower - 7500 ish
  9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

what about a 150 short bed
  10. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Get a Bobcat! Sounds like your a driveway guy. If they're close enough to each other that's the way to go!
  11. Landcare - Mont

I don't think Bobcats or skid-steer loaders are street legal in Quebec. If not, then you need to haul it around with a truck and trailer and you have 3 units doing the job of one.
  12. mtlstorm

mtlstorm Junior Member

I have not tough about a f-150 !

The thing i am worried with 1/2 a ton is that I need to put a smaller plow on them and since I never used one before I do not know how they perform for back dragging and other application. I know my 250 is giving me the good , but it is too long to put a backdrager on it .....

Well I will visit a tractor dealer this week and will see about them .

What are your experience in terms of 1/2 tons vs 1 tons will I see a big difference in plowing performances ?

Lncare-mont , Are you from mtl too , what sector do you plow in ? What equipement are you using.

Thx for the infos guys
  13. Landcare - Mont

We've never put a plow on a 1/2-ton - don't really trust the front ends enough to put a real plow on them. The difference between the 1/2-ton, 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks are in the suspensions and frames. I'm not sure if any manufacturer warranties a 1/2-ton for plowing.

Yes, we are in the Montreal area; we are actually based in Pointe-Claire and do commercial snow clearing in St-Laurent, Dorval, Lachine, Pointe-Claire and Dollard-Des-Ormeaux and we do the roads in Baie-D'Urfé and Senneville.