1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help!! Already Missed some ..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Peopleeater, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I have a Western Unimount. Just switched plow over from 1990 Suburban to 1995 Chevy Silverado. I used the same wiring harness and this harness was originally from a dodge something. Anyway, plow wiring seems to work fine. Solenoid clicks with controller. Got it fixed once, seemed to be bad battery connections and/ or bad battery. Changed battery and made sure connections were tight. Worked ok, but the battery light kept coming on in the truck. Seemed to get a tiny bit worse the more i used it but was still going. Stacked a pile of snow (slowly) and the plow seemed to go limp! No functions again. Checked for same problem but doesn't seem to be it. Seems like I can angl the plow a tiny bit manually (floats back and forth). I jumped straight from battery and motor seemed to spin a bit, but didnt seem steady.

Anyone have any ideas? We are getting burried (already have) in GREEN and i'm down. Have more cleanup later if I can get it going again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

*Edit*
    Is this a symptom of an undersized alternator or something or that nature?

Also installed new pump motor in beginning of season. Plow worked great last time out on other truck, but other truck brake last time.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  2. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

With truck running...disconnect + side of battery...if it dies...replace Alternator. If not...check all grounds.What size batt. do you have? Run without lights if possible.

3. Peopleeater

Battery

Thank you for reply

I think battery is 750 CCA? I picked it up last minute at of all places Wally World at midnight. Guage read ok just a hair below 14, but did come to 14 or maybe a hair over.

Hope that helps a little?

Jeff

4. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

do you have the stock 105 amp alt.? you may have to go to a 140-160 amp. I too have similar problems...low voltage...I have an 875 cca batt but am going to add second batt. and 140 amp alt. westerns seem to draw a boatload of power.

5. Peopleeater

That's what I'LL try

I'll have to replace the alternator with a bigger one. I just got the truck so no time to do anything with it. Barely got the plow working to go for 3 hours. Oh well, I should have it going for the next one.

Thanks again.

Jeff

6. Peopleeater

-UPDATE-

Had alternator check was fine at that time. Replaced battery with a red top optima. Next time out the alternator finally died! Was gonna keep one in truck, but they weren't calling for snow. Almost made it through the night. Replaced alternator with another stock one, and now seems fine, but haven't had a chance to plow yet. Way things go here, probably won't be able to see til next year!

Jeff