1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help again!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevy/GMC, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Ok this is what I'm trying to do. I'm in the prosess of in stalling my Boss 7.6 str poly on my new 06 CC Duramax. I removed all of my old wiring harness from my 97 GMC 1/2ton and I'm alittle confused on how in the hell the light kit hooks up to this 06??? I removed the driver side head light which was very easy but the wiring connectors look totally different then the adapter kit that I have that came on my 97. Boss say's it's the same light kit part # for the 06 as the 97 but it dosn't look anything like it. I'm lost here on where to go with this. The dealer won't help being it's Diesel and all and I'm starting to get alittle nervous, If it snows before I get this truck going I'm going to be screw'd. Anyone have any clue as to what I need to do? PLEASE HELP....

2. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Anyone ???

3. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

The dealer won't help because it's a diesel?! What kind of lame excuse is that! Find a new dealer, sounds like they just don't want to help. I'm not a Chevy guy so I got no clue what either of your head light plugs look like. But if you really get in a pinch you can splice into your plow light harness, I would do it to the adapters since they are no longer of any use to you if they don't fit anyhow.
    I have always hardwired my plow lights in. Splice into the turn lights and I use a center off switch for the plow head lights. Up - high, center - off, down - low. Keep it simple. But I also don't run new trucks so a little wire splicing doesn't bother me. Don't get me wrong, it's not "hack", it's actually a pretty clean setup.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Was your '97 equipped with HB3/HB4 headlamps? Sounds like it wasn't if you're claiming the connector plugs don't look the same.

5. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

I don't know what HB3/HB4 is ????

So what your saying is if they were then the connectors would all be the same, wright???

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct but let me break it down for you. Just because your dealer told you they are "all the same" doesn't apply if the two trucks didn't have the same type of lights.

If the lights are the same style then yes the adapters you already have would fit your '06. However, if you're '97 didn't have the HB3/HB4 composite lamps and instead had sealed beams, then no the adapters wouldn't work on your '06.

So which was your '97? Composite (plastic) or sealed beams?

7. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Well it's sounding like my old 97 has the sealed beam headlights. So then I need to buy the newer HB3/HB4 light adapter kit, right??? What all comes in the light adapter kit ? It's not a whole new wiring harnnes is it?? Man I hope not!!! I've just spent the last two hours out in the cold garage running all the wires except the head light part. Do you know what part # I need to get?

8. MNcasper

MNcasper Junior Member

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

All you need would be the light adapters themselves, no major harness changes required (lucky you :D) .

Adapters are Boss p/n: MSC04601 assuming you have a 13 pin harness.

10. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

OK thanks guys, I will look to see if mine is the 11 or 13 pin. I think it's the 13???

11. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Yes it is the 13 pin I will be going to oick up the harness tomorrow. Thanks again...

12. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

YES I have lights...After installing the MSC04601 light adapter kit and several hours of re-wiring everything on my new 06 Chevy 2500 I was able to hook up the plow for the first time today. Everything works except the high beems. No high beem on the plow or the truck. Any clue as to what may be the problem??? For some reason all four headlight fuses blew while I was wiring everything up on the truck. I replaced them and then they worked fine other then the high beems. Now that I think about it the High beems have never worked on the plow when it was on my 97 GMC but the truck high beems always did. I'm woundering if I have another fuse or maybe a relay thats bad???

13. MNcasper

MNcasper Junior Member

so when the plow is disconnected the truck high beams don't work (making sure switch is set to truck not plow of course) ?

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have one or more of the adapters connected wrong as there's an "A" and a "B: side to them. So if you would have noticed they're labeled as such and they each can be plugged in one of two ways by flipping the connectors 180 degrees. Thats why it blew all the fuses.

You can also accidentally plug them into "themselves" so to speak and not even realize it if you're not paying close attention. Catches plenty of guys off guard when they don't read the paper work closely thats included with the adapters. And I think you may be guilty. :D

15. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Yeah NO high beams at all!! The truck lights don't work at all when the switch is on PLOW, They come on when they are set to TRUCK but no high beams......

16. MNcasper

MNcasper Junior Member

When the switch is on plow I believe only the driving lights of truck should be on (least on mine). I believe what B&B is talking about is step 5 in attached link. http://service.bossplow.com/Documents/MSC04601.pdf Boss apparently didn't update yrs on the vehicles but the e & f connections I believe are reversed. Hope I got this right, B&B?

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That is correct. Read the paperwork it will explain all. Also don't forget to check the headlamp fuses one last time once you have all the adapters orientated correctly. :nod:

18. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

OK I think I'm under standing what you and the paper work are saying.

Step 5. Black to Black, Gray to Gray.

I'm thinking now I may have both E & F plugged in on the B settings. So I will try the A settings and see if that's all it is. To me the Directions are a little miss leading by not updating them for the current years. Being that mine is a 06 that's why I have both sides plugged in to the B settings for 99-2002. I was thinking maybe the detections were made back in 02 and just not updated and It would be for 99-07 classic body style. But now it looks like I need the 98 & older & 2003 A settings. OK:dizzy: Was there a change in 03 and just not updated since then??? It's was a long day out in the COLD garage......

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you're now rather sure you have them in the "B" side then that would certainly explain why they don't work and you blew a few fuses as I mentioned.

The paper work should read "2003-up", who knows why it was never updated. Probably because those who are familiar with them know that the '99-'02 GM's use a positive common light system and every other year including your '06 use a negative common light system. Which is why they're reversible. You're able to cover 20 years of vehicle applications with only one set of adapters.

20. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

OK that was it, I fliped over from B to A and the high beems are working perfect. Thanks again B&B