1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help/advice on 82' duallie rear end.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gamfa, Dec 28, 2003.

1. gamfa

gamfa Junior Member

I'm working on a 1982 GMC 1 ton dually and currently going through the brakes and need some advice on the rear end. I assume there is a special socket to remove and install the lock nut on the hub. Where might I find such an animal? I hope it's not a GM item only. Does the socket for the lock nut also fit the adjusting nut? If not, what type of socket do I need once I get to it?

The second thing is that the self-adjusting screw seems to be frozen. About the only possible solution I can come up with is to try to get some WD40 on the threads and try to work it back and forth till I can back it off. Anyone have any other suggestions?
  2. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Just get new hardware kit, Springs,clips, adjusters and such. Also replace the wheel cylinders. Get new seals and cut drums. You don't need any special tools. I just sent out on of my trucks and had it done, cost like $400 but I paid like $600. I needed a new a drum and an ebrake cable. Parts cost should be $250 for shoes wheel cylinders and hardware kit and take like 2 hours to do.
  3. gamfa

gamfa Junior Member

First things first, Got to get the drum off the spindle. This is a 1 ton full floating axle. There is no "standard" socket or wrench that I know of and I have a barn full of them, that will fit that nut. I haven't taken a truck or tractor to a shop to be worked on for 30 years. Farmers need to do their on work. Can't afford the shops.
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I usualy use a drift in and insert it into the slots in the threaded nuts retainer. Then just tap the drift pin sideways to unscrew the nut. They usually are not overtightened since they have to line up with the groove in the axel stub.
  5. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

it was a nomal nut in my 86 think they the same as 82 you there is a clip the locks it in you need to get out first
  6. acornish

acornish Senior Member

please - no hammer and chisle it weakens the jamb nut--- go to any good auto parts store they will either rent u one or u can buy it for about 30 bucs-- it fits right on a 1half inch wratchet
  7. gamfa

gamfa Junior Member

The research I have been able to do suggests that they changed the safety lock around 82. Older units had the safety lock under the lock nut with tabs that you bend down into one of the 6 notches on the lock nut. Newer units have a locking key that you insert through a notch in the lock nut and a clip that you install over that to keep the key in. Mine is the older type. I googled a little and I can get one off the net for $24 plus shipping so I'll probably order it this morning. I had thought of the drift if all else fails but the manuals give a method of tightening with a torque wrench on the main nut to set the bearings and it would be guess work putting it back together with a drift. I assume the socket fits both the lock nut and the main nut.

SNOWPIMP Member

the nut size should be a 2-9/16