1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help...added back drag blade and plow wont raise all the way now

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by AmericanHandymn, Dec 19, 2008.

1. AmericanHandymn

AmericanHandymn Junior Member

I just put a back drag blade on my 7.5 western unimount, and now the plow will only go up about 3-4 inches off the ground. If I remove the chain the piston will go ALL the way up......if I have someone hold the swith up and I lift a little it will go up until it hits the stops. Seems as though the pump or piston (maybe moror) cant handle the extra weight..maybe 75-100 lbs for the back drag blade?

I have cleaned the filter, replaced the fluid, and adjusted the quill so it drops at a human speed, but I could not budge the packing nut to try and adjust it. I also replaced the battery, cleaned the grounds, and put dialectric grease at all connections (I think).

The pump was replaced 2 years ago, and the motor and pistons are at least 4 years old (dont know if the previous owner ever changed them out so maybe even older) and I plow about 35 drives a storm.

Its on a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 if it matters.....any help would be MUCH appreciated.

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

did you mess with the quill before or after the issue occured?

3. AmericanHandymn

AmericanHandymn Junior Member

After...I got tired of it slamming down on the garage floor so hard.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Turning the quill in to far will restrict raise. Pump gets tired of trying to work so hard and goes over relief. Try adjusting it back out and see what you get.

5. Nestech

Nestech Senior Member

You will need to check pump pressure, It is a simple procedure with the proper gauge. If you don't have the gauge try removing the motor and turnning up the pump pressure by 1/4 turn. If you look on top of the pump when the motor is removed there are 4 mounting bolts that have 1/2 heads. In between you will see a 7/16 sized head that is what you turn clockwise 1/4 turn.

6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Cool deal..that is exactly what I was thinking when I read this first post. The same thing happened with mine when I installed my Prowings. the adjustment cured it.