1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help A.S.A.P

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Quality SR, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I am installing a Boss RT3 mount ( Smart Hitch 2) on my 2004 GMC 2500HD.
    I cranked the T- Bars 4 times. In order for the mount to be 15 1/2" from the ground to the center of the lock pin hole. The mount has to be tight to the valance. Is this going to be a problem when hooking up the plow? Also, with the mount being set at the 15 1/2", the holes don't line up. They will line up if the mount is set at 15". Need to know A.s.a.p, i am at a stand still now. Thanks Rich

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think it being tight to valance should be a problem, I have a friend with the same setup and I know his is touching tight as well...

3. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

A 1/2" will not hurt you at all. Both of my trucks are at 14". I have a friend with an 05' GMC and he did not want to cut the valance, so his sits at 12.5". He's been plowing like that for the last 3 years.

4. Quality SR

Update:
    I have the bolts in where they line up. The mount is 14 1/2" off the ground. Ill see how that goes. If i have to ill give the t- bars another full turn to bring it up that 1/2". Another, problem. The guy that i bought the plow off of. Had 1 battery on the driver side. I have 2, and i want to hook the power up from the second battery on the passenger side. The wires are going to be too short, if i hook up to the second battery and pop out the harness on the driver side. Can i put it out the passenger side? So i will have the control harness on the driver side, and the power for the pump on the passenger.

5. Quality SR

I am going to leave it like that. And if i have to ill turn the T bars one more full turn. Thanks for the info.

6. Quality SR

Ok, the mount is set at 14 1/2" off the ground. I am going to crank the t- bars tomorrow. I am doing the wiring. Does anyone have any info about my last post?

7. Quality SR

Done for the day. Ran out of light. The mount is on, at 14 1/2". Please chime in and let me know if this is ok. I also got the wire in the cab for the control and the lights. Tomorrow ill have to figure out what wire goes to what light, hook up the solenoid.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The mount against the plastic valance is fine Rich. In fact it states in the install paperwork to "push up on the push beam, slightly deforming the plastic valance". Thats how they need to be to get them hight enough. If it's at 14.5", leave it there and put 2 more turns in the T-bars, it'll be fine. You'll gain the height later when you upgrade to the 265 tires anyway.

Don't put the battery cables on the pass side battery. Use the driver side one unless your also going to upgrade all the stock battery cables on the truck and alternator at this time as connecting to the pass side battery with the stock cables will cut down on plow performance.

9. Quality SR

thanks for the info Milke. I will do everything you said about the mount. I have to come off of the main battery or can i use that box and put the wire on the wire for the second battery. i have to do this along with hooking up the lights tommorow.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Run the power cable directly to the battery terminal from the solenoid, don't connect to the red junction box, cuts down on power. Connect the ground cable directly to the batt also. :)

11. Quality SR

Thats what i am going to do. I was wondering because the guy removed it from that red box. I am going to run both wires on the driver side. Ill keep you posted.

12. Quality SR

Update:
    I got 95% of the wiring done today. I am dropping the truck off tomorrow for 2 more turns on the T bars. And the rest of the wiring hooked up. I took a few pictures today. Here they are. This is the picture with the blade in front of my truck. When i put the plow in my garage, i had it with the blade down. When i flipped it over, about a quart of fluid came out LOL

PIC-0014.jpg

13. Quality SR

I took this picture to show the mount on my truck set at 14 1/2". The blade still has more to go on the foot stand. I think 3 more holes.

PIC-0017.jpg

14. Quality SR

Here is one more. The mount is about 3/4" down from the bumper in order for the holes to line up. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pictures.

PIC-0016.jpg

15. Quality SR

Update:
    Everything is done. The mount, wiring and the t bars. The tbars were turned a total of 6 times. Am having some problems with the wiring. I only get high beams on the truck side, and the day time running lights ( parking lights). When i switch from truck to plow, i only get high beams when i turn them on. I am in the process of figuring this all out. The problem is i get home when it is getting dark so it is a real pain. I also hooked up the plow last night, man this thing is fast. I am liking it already. Ill have some pictures up soon.

16. Quality SR

Update:
    I finished everything tonight. I had a blown fuse in the fuse box. Everything works now and i just hooked up the plow to my truck to check everything out. I'll have some day time pictures up soon.

17. Quality SR

Just came in from plowing. Plow works great. Everyone that has said the a Boss wont float because it is chain less, has to try one. This plow is great. Got to use it on wet and heavy 2-3" of snow tonight.

18. alton v benson

alton v benson Junior Member

My v 8.2 was installed from Monroe truck.
    They cut the whole center area out
    I think you will have to do the same
    unless you lift the front.
    Be careful with cranking up your torsion bar.
    Your truck will ride really rough.

19. Quality SR

I didnt have to cut the valance. I cranked the tbars a total of 6 times. The truck rides fine. Just a little stiff when going over bumps up front, thats all. Rich