1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help 94 f250 wont start

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by asphalter1, Dec 17, 2007.

1. asphalter1

asphalter1 Junior Member
    from 08527

1994 f250 5.8 when key is in on position check engine light and other warning lights dont come on,also no radio or wipers,cant hear fuel pumps kick in , truck will crank but will not start.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The two things that are the most common cause for this...

Rotted fusible link at/near the starter solenoid (on fender)....

Or a bad ignition switch (very common)

Neither is too hard to repair...

3. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

Follow the positive battery cable and see if it leads to a main buss bar with two big amp fuses. Not sure what year they started with that set up. It might be 97-up, but it's worth a look.

4. asphalter1

asphalter1 Junior Member
    from 08527

tried both still nothing! also noticed odometer is blank... Thanks anyway I'll keep trying

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check the main harness bulkhead connector on the driver side of the firewall. This is where the main harness goes through the firewall. Disconnect the harness from the bulkhead and check the pins for corrosion... a pretty common problem also on these trucks.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Does it have a fuel shut-off switch in case of an accident? It could have tripped...

7. asphalter1

asphalter1 Junior Member
    from 08527

yes ,it does but its fine ...Thanks

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Did you figure it out?

9. asphalter1

asphalter1 Junior Member
    from 08527

no not yet its driving us crazy..about to send it out

10. MickiRig1

I would start with the ignition switch & wires feeding / exiting it. If it's like my truck, the actual switch is down the column aways. It's operated with rods from the ignition key assembly to the actual switch. It sounds like your not getting power to the run and start circuits. Since both do not work it has to be something with the main power. The start circuit just powers what you need to start. That's why your heater fan etc shuts off when you turn the key. The run circuit then powers everything when you let go of the key.The start and run circuits all work off a big gage same color wire for each function. Like big red for run and big yellow for start if I remember right.

11. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

sounds like a fuse to me...

12. niv

niv Member
    from midwest

If the fuses are all ok then closely check all grounds.

13. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Check the grounds

If that dont help, Buy a chevy :)

14. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

compression, spark, fuel... Those are the three things a gas engine needs to run.... Check all three one at a time...

I would start by checking your fuel rail.. there should be a value that looks like the valve stem on you wheels... if you have good pressure there then move on...
    (cycle key to run fuel pump to build pressure)

pull one of you spark plug wires and check for spark...

I'm going to guess that its one of these two things...

15. toyman

toyman Senior Member

Battery or broken wire by the solenoid on the fender.

Toyman

16. MickiRig1

One of the clues is no power to systems inside the truck or fuel pump. No power to the run and start circuits.