1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help!!! 2003 Liberty Overheated

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by jgsxr750, Aug 10, 2011.

1. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

my wifes 2003 jeep liberty overheated today. vehicle has 150k miles and she has put every mile on it since it was new. car never overheated or had problems with coolant system in the past. i found a small crack at the top of the radiator and plan on changing that plus water pump, t-stat and hoses. what would have caused this to happen out the blue? is this a normal issue with this car and does anyone think the head gasket is bad? Just had new tranny put in at 130k miles but other than that the car has only cost we brakes and 2 sets of tires. Any help is greatly appreciated. Great site. :drinkup:

2. snowrangler

snowrangler Junior Member

Do not jump to head gasket conclution! Ihad one of these with so called head gasket problems diagnosed by another shop- during my teardown and diagnosis I found a casting plug on back side of water pump leeking into timming chain area and down into oil pan making oil milky just like a head gasket would

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

My 06 ate a water pump at 80K, easiest WP swap I've ever done it is a 15 minute job.

4. c2weech

c2weech Junior Member

Same thing happened to my girlfriends '02 liberty at about 140k. Small crack at the top of radiator. New radiator, t stat, and water pump changed. been good as new for the last 8k miles so I would say this is a normal Liberty issue