1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help 1943 oshkosk w/snogo

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 66Construction, Feb 7, 2004.

1. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

My mechanic is working on a 1943 Oshkosh we recently obtained. I has an R61 Climax 6cyl mototr on the back to run the blower. We cant seem to get it running. Snogo says they had it running a few months ago when they put a chute on it. It's a giant motor, in line six flat head. It has 2 updraft carbureators which are gravity fed, twelve spark plugs, one in each cylinder fired by a magneto and one fired by a coil and distributor. It has an electric starter and a hand crank. It has compression because it will actualy spin the starter backwards when it trys to start and spudders. There's definitly fuel and some spark. It has two chokes on it, on on a carbureator connected to the throttle in the cab and one on a carb connected to a governor. There are also two switches to turn on power to the coil and/or the magneto seprately. So far all we've been able to do is get it to spit spuder pop and fart. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give me. I cant even find much info on climax other then someone else selling the same truck. If worse comes to worse I guess an N14 cummins will do, but figuring out how to make this one run will be more economical. I'd hate to tear into the whole magneto/governor set up just to find out we were doing something wrong trying to start it.
    Casey:confused:

2. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Sounds either flooded and or it has bad spark.CAn you pull a spark plug and see if it's soaked with gas?If not,then go after the fuel side.If this thing has been sitting for a while,the carb may have varnish in it.This would let the float stick open,therby flooding it or closed and therby starving it.I would start with some fresh gas and new plugs.does this thing have points for an ignition?Check that and the condenser.Sounds flooded to me without hearing it in person.Shut the fuel off(if possible),keep the choke open,hold the throttle wide open and crank it over.If it's comong back on the starter that hard, it's probably flooded.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Sounds to me like it is not in correct time for it to run. I know nothing about the setup, but it sounds like spark is there, but not at the right time. Get the manual on it and set the timing to the right specs. It may of just jumped timing due to age and wear.replacing a chain and gears is alot cheaper then and engine and fabing a mount for it.

4. 66Construction

I'm trying to track down a manual for it...that's a lot easier said then done. It's definitly getting fuel, we've pulled the plugs a few times and some have had gas on them, the plugs are new. The ignition system does have points and it's a poor set up to say the least, well comparing 1943 technology to today. We were thinking about getting into the ignition system tomorow. Hopefuly theres a bad ground at the condensor or something. it does actualy seem like the timing might be off the way it's acting. We thought it was actualy spinning backwards by the way it was poping and farting but it's not, the hand crank will only spin one way and thats the way it's spinning.
    Casey

5. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

since it has new sparkplugs, are the wires connected in the proper order? This would cause it to not fire even if it did have spark, since it woulnd't be getting spark at the right time, I believe.

-Jer

6. Lockeman

Lockeman Junior Member

Well, one more thing to think about, are you working on this engine outside or in a nice warm shop? That old girl might tend to be a bit uncooperative in weather like this. I don't mean to insult anyones intelligence, I just didn't see this mentioned in the string.

7. Grant

Grant Member

Wants to run backwards=you have spark and fuel, timing too advanced. Take it from a Ford Model T owner.

8. 66Construction

We're working on it in a garage, it's about 60 degrees. It's been in there a good 18 hours now. It does have a block heater though. As for the firing order I think it's right, the way it's wired someone would have to go through an awful lot of trouble to take the wires off and re-route them. Right now We're going to look into the timing and how much spark we're getting and where. Thanks for all the replies, I'll post what ever we find out today.
    Casey

9. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If she is kicking backwards I too will go with timing. Have a friend turn it over while you slowly rotate the distributor till it fires good and after it starts rough tune the timing same way till you get a timing light on it.

10. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I sure hope you get this running good. I'd like to see pictures of it, when you get it dialed in.
    I'm assuming a snogo is a huge blower. If these were put in service at airports or in the military, maybe you could search connections to those for manuals. Hope you find one.

11. 66Construction

Well after cleaning up the poionts and fooling round enough to figure out what's open throttle, choke etc. we got it running. From what we can find it's supposed to blow snow @ 800 rpm and move 2400 tons of snow per hour, also have the ability to throw it about 75 yards. Well it started to eat a snowbank and throw it about 7' and it choked out @ full throtle. It definitly needs a lot of work... coil, wires, points, distributor, the ability to run on 12 volts not 6 and a lbit more tls and modernization. I will be surprised if it's ready for service by next witer. There's a few people interested maybe we'll part with it for a little more then it cam about for. There's another one for sale on the net for 15k with only 1000 miles on it. Anyway thanks for the help, if we get it doing what it's supposed to do I'll get some pics and post them, as of now the only pics I have are a huge disapointment.
    Casey

12. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Casey,
    Did you happen to pick that up over near me?
    There was one like that down behind the either the Clark rental place on third ave. or out behind the Yankee trails bus garage.I just don't remember where i saw it last.

Dan

13. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

Lack of power still can be an ignition timing problem.

2 ignition systems sounds neat. Could one be used for starting and one be used for running at the correct timing? try turning one or the other off when running. Does it have a manual timing adjustment? I'm just thinking of how some old tractors are setup around here.

14. 66Construction

Dan
    This thing came from Wisconsin...Some unfortunate person with way more $$ then I'll ever have figured it would be good for their driveway, when it didnt work it came to my mechanic, I figured if it does what they say it will it will out work 5 loaders loading trucks and it just came along at the right time with all the hauling in December fresh in my mind and the price will be reasonable if I keep it so we took a shot at fixing it, right now whether it stays or goes is up in the air. A loader unit could be just about as efficient and I can get one way newer then 43 for a good price.

'76cj5
    I agree with you 100% Something is very wrong some where. It defiitly needs some tlc and a major tune up. However we havent been able to locate much info on the motor.