1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need good advice: this is what I have to do(with pics)

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by MtlMan, Nov 12, 2008.

1. MtlMan

MtlMan Junior Member

My family owns 3 triplex and this year our cost for snow removal went up 50% to 600$ per place(1800$/year), so now it's starts making sense to remove the snow myself since there is only one company in the area who will do this job and the owner already advised us that if the cost of fuel goes back up he will bring his prices up again.

Right now all I have access to is a 198X 8hp-26" snow blower that works like a charm but I'm only keeping it as a plan B. My friend has a clean 94 yukon 1500 with a fisher 8.6 for sale that I could get for 4K but I'm thinking I might need some kind of bigger snowblower instead because I'm not sure I can manage 120"+ of snow with a truck.

I have to do this triplex on the left side only, there is 5-6 parking spaces in the back and no place to put the snow except for the front lawn:

[​IMG]

For this one I have to do the parking on both sides witch are the same:

[​IMG]

2. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Is your time for doing the snow removal all yr, buying equipment and all the other expences less than the 1800 bucks it would cost you? Seems like it would almost be cheaper to hire out.

3. MtlMan

MtlMan Junior Member

The expences went up big time this year(tax, snow, grass) so I decided I may cut the grass and remove the snow to save a good 5000$+. I have the time to do it anyways...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  4. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I agree with farmboss here, If you decide to do your own work,consider purchasing a skid steer to stack snow. good luck

5. TREMEK

TREMEK Junior Member

Sounds like you want to do the plowing your self. If so Go for it. but take this into consideration as well

$4000 For the truck + $275 QC Plates Say $200 Insurance $150 Gas Per year

So Total $4625 With out any repairs.

Are you in the west island. the streets look familiar. Im in the West island if your close and ever get stuck i could help you out.

6. MtlMan

MtlMan Junior Member

Hi Tremek, are you the tremek from montrealracing.com? Yes I'm in the west island, the street is chateau-pierrefonds...

I have a X plate(dealer plate for you non quebec folks) so I wouldn't pay any tax, plates or insurance on the truck.

I'm also looking at other options, not just a truck...I don't mind if I have to be outside and brave the elements.

7. TREMEK

TREMEK Junior Member

Yes Thats me. Former owner of Tremek.com. i new it was familiar. X plate your lucky man :) You Could use an ATV with a plow. But dont try to drive that on the road here. Believe it or not a friend of mine use to hand shovel a lot bigger then that.

8. MtlMan

MtlMan Junior Member

Hehe what a small world, this is your friendly moderator RWDLover1:D

I could actually leave a ATV there but I'm scared that at one point I just end up with a big wall of snow...pushing the snow in the middle on the front lawn is not really an option. I don't want to destroy the grass.

9. TREMEK

TREMEK Junior Member

Wow Small world it is. whats going on RWDLover .

They have some huge snowblowers these days. 46" Cub Cadet at homedepot.ca $2399
    [​IMG]

10. TREMEK

TREMEK Junior Member

Used Lawn Tractor with a blower could work

11. MtlMan

MtlMan Junior Member

Hehe

That snowblower doesn't look bad at all, I'm wondering if it's heavy enough/has enough grip to push itself in a big snowbank.I know I've tried some newer 30"-10hp snowblower and it was so light that my old 80s tank was doing a better job because I didn't have to fight with it as much..

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Remember,all the aggravation you snowplow guy was having is now yours.It gets real old fast getting up in the morning and having tenets cars parked everywhere. For that price let someone else do it.If anything bumpp the rent up 10.00 a month.

13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

don't buy a home owner quality snow blower for the work you need it to do, buy a commercial one and you won't have a problem. that said since you mentioned you might do the lawn mowing also why not just go with the tractor idea, with a blower and bucket and mower. now you can mow stack and clear.

14. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

im with gv on this.

Unfortunately i have to agree with him. :rolleyes:

15. VBR

VBR Member

8.6 sure is a big blade for a Yukon 1500. Bump up the cost of repairs when figuring out you budget

16. MtlMan

MtlMan Junior Member

Grn Mtn: Over here if you plow on a street that's "not your" you better hide your equipement at night...and watch out for cement blocks with chains in snowbanks, apparently they do a real nasty job on snowblowers.:(

The contractors ALL use big farm like tractors with snowblowers on them, you will very rarely see someone with a pick up.

How do grass tractors hold up in 12"+ storms? That would pay for itself pretty fast if I use it all year long.

17. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

would you really wait until all 12" had fallen? plow with the storm and you will be fine. hell i could snowblow 8" with my little toro.

18. MtlMan

MtlMan Junior Member

No I wouldn't wait, it's just that we got at least 3-4x 18"+ of heavy stuff last year. One time it was 18" of ice pellets...I guess that's why the prices went up 50%.

19. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

really all in how you look at it.
    I plow out my own rental.
    I do it because i have a plow for other purposes.
    If i didnt have other things to plow then i wouldnt plow out my own rental.
    Before i plowed out the rental i actually had tenants responsible for own snow and ice removal. This lowered my liability i felt.
    Doing it myself i can deduct some equipment over x amount of years as a expense from the rental gross income and did this for a couple snowblowers.
    But hiring it out i could deduct the entire bill that same year.
    I dont have a plow for the purposes of plowing out the rental though. Like i said it is actually the opposite i have it to plow other things and threw the rental in after.
    I was probably better off leaving it to the tenants to figure out or hiring it out.

Guy sands it or whatever. I could deduct that right off the top. No headaches.

Now i cant even deduct the truck or the snowplow on the rental. Because the use of the truck and plow isnt primarily for the rental. I would have to "hire" myself and deduct it that way under a llc or something. pita

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think this is a no brainer and I'm not sure why your even thinking about plowing the snow yourself. For $1800 a year for those 3 places I think the guy is giving you a deal. Neige is in Montreal and he charges more then half that for one driveway. Give your head a shake and go get a parttime job at Mickey D's to make the $1800 back, at least you'll get free food. JMO