1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need feedback on Fisher Xblade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JCurtis, May 11, 2003.

1. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Well I just bought a newer truck, so I am going to need to buy a new plow for it.

I already know that its going to be a Fisher, the question is what model?

I have first hand knowledge of the straight blade MM2 and passing knowledge of the EZ-V

What I am looking for here is any and all feedback on the XBlade.
    Good, bad, indifferent... I want to know.

So anyone out there that has actually used one and can compare it to the other Fisher models, please let me know what you think.
  2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I think it has been discussed a few times before. I know that there are not much feedback on the X-Blade, but since most of members are gone from the site for the summer, you might want to do a search and see what you can find. I remember that 66Construction made some comments on those X-Blade that he own and used.

I originally was thinking about X-Blade for my 2500HD but for some good reasons I decided to go with Fisher 8.5' V Plow. I will be getting one this summer. I think that X-Blade are good, I see some benefits to them, being that it is stainless and very strong, but I feel that the V plow is more suitable for my business.
  4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Well, Chuck beat me just by a few minutes! :D :drinkup:
  5. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I read 66constructions comments

Thanks fella's

I read his comments on the X plow.

I think I'll call the local Fisher distributor tomorrow, and see what he may have left over from last season.

who knows He may have a deal on either the V or the X
  6. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

If you get an X blade be sure and tighten all the bolts that hold the top of the moldboard to the x bracing, I lost all but one out of my 8' blade and 4 or 5 out of the 9'. If they all fall out I think the stainless could actualy fall off.
  7. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Good luck Jeff trying to find a leftover X Blade at a dealer from last year. According to the dealers that I talked to Fisher made a quick and limited run of those blades and dealers were scrambling to gather up as many as they could, since they were the hot topic of the winter of 02/03 as we all know.

Good luck I had the opportunity to inspect a few of those blades and they look very sturdy and impressive.

8. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Our town road crew has one on a F-550,they like it so far.They liked their 9.5 V better but it just couldn't handle the stress,they actually brought it home in pieces one day:( .

Casey's post reminded me of one of the minor complaints of bolts loosening up quite often,other than that it plows my road and i think it scrapes good and my road is beat to hexx!

If you can get away with a staight blade you might just as well go stainless,they are not that much more.JMO

FORDNUT Junior Member

Fisher X blade feedback

As a plow user and salesperson, I can say nothing but great about X blade. I sold every one that I could get my hands on.
    Four municipalities purchased them and after heavy use,
    they experienced no problems. They also said they would not go back to the original fisher blade. The improved cutting edge attack angle makes for a cleaner scrape and also works better at road speeds than the original plow. Another feature that is liked is the stainless moldboard, never needs painting, and rolls snow better, less sticking. All other x blades I sold were to commercial customers, no problems , just praise. I reccomend purchasing with rubber deflector, bolt on reversible steel edge and curb guards-shoes. Awsome snowfighting package. :drinkup:
    Goodluck, Fordnut
  10. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Re: Fisher X blade feedback

I thought the edge was at less of an angle than the standard blade giving less attack angle. It would make a better road plow as impacts on sewer covers and pot holes will be less harsh.
  11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If it is going to be a road plow I would want them to make a stainless sno-foil. If I was using it for general plowing I would want a rubber defelctor.

Just got to get Fisher to make a foil for it.

FORDNUT Junior Member

Joey D,
    The angle of the base angle to ground, AKA
    attack angle on x blade is greater than that
    of the fisher m blade. You are correct that it
    handles manholes , basins, etc. better. It
    seems from my experiences that impacts are softer with this plow
    and that it works better as far as scraping on blacktop than the m blade.
    CT18fireman, Fisher built in a greater curl or roll into the blade
    than the m blade therefore they claim there is no need for the steel foil. I suppose they could fab. a bolt on foil, but there
    are no plans at the moment, but stay tuned in the future.
    They are exploring possible options for the future, this
    plow is more flexible in design than the m blade.
    For starters they are now building a powder coated x blade
    in conjunction with the stainless model. Like I said stay tuned
    they have some good product in the future.
    Good Luck Fordnut
  13. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Fordnut, We are saying the same thing then. I was thinking angle from a vertical plain not horizontal. I always wanted to weld a piece of steel in between the flip edge and the moldboard getting the edge more vertical as I was plowing only roads until last year. I was thinking less impact which would let me plow a little faster.
    Does it seem the X blade can plow the same roads at a higher speed?
  14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have seen the blade and it does have more curve in it but still needs a foil for high speed road plowing. Heck the Diamonds still have more curve and we have put foils on them because the snow still flew over them when plowing roads.
  15. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

You need to have a flap on every plow .The best is to put a rubber 10" flap on the top . Works good to stop the snow from flying over while plowing and it will push back when stacking.
  16. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I like the rubber deflector and even run one off of the snowfoil on my truck that plows mostly private roads. The others just have the rubber deflector.

The snofoil does limit stacking, but on roads at higher speeds really let you throw the snow back from the road.

FORDNUT Junior Member

Joey D,
    The X blade can definitely plow better at higher speeds.
    It's new designed bottom trip puts it into this century.
    Like I said, it will cut to the blacktop just as well now as
    a full trip blade. For the other guys, the stock rubber deflector works pretty well. You can go to many suppliers and have larger rubbers cut to suit your specific needs. I know a place in Little Ferry New Jersey by the name of Action Industrial Rubber Products. They will make you a custom deflector or custom rubber cutting edge. Hope this helps guys.:drinkup: Fordnut
  18. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

There seems to be very little negative feedback about the x blade . And now it is available powdercoated . THe bolt loosening problem seems minor ....just double nut with a nylon locker
  19. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

the issue with the bolts falling out has been fixed. they have been replaces with nylok nuts.