1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need fast advice on what type of plow to get!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 90pioneer, Oct 22, 2011.

1. 90pioneer

90pioneer Junior Member

I have been hearing all sorts of different things. Some people say V plows are the only way to go, others tell me to get a straight blade.

I have an appt to get a Boss 8' 2" V plow this Monday to the tune of $7300 but I am thinking about going another route.

I will be plowing good sized commercial parking lots along with small residential driveways.

My plow truck is a 1997 F250HD ext cab long bed (I know, wish it was a short box).

There is another guy telling me to go with a Fisher straight blade HT series plow. He has been plowing in my area for 20 years and uses these plows on his 1/2 ton Chevys. He is also a Fisher dealer, says Boss V plows suck. He wants $5300 for the 7'6" Fisher HT plow delivered plus another $500 to install, so that price seems high to me. At least it seems high from my brief internet research.

I am also considering the Fisher straight blade HD plow because the HT plow is made for half tons and my truck is a 3/4 ton.

The guy also warned me not to get an 8"+ plow because they're too hard to maneuver in tight driveways.

I am really lost, what plow should I go with?? I have never plowed before, but I already have commercial contracts but I do not have a plow, so this is urgent.

Boss V plow, Fisher HT, or the Fisher SD??

Any advice is appreciated.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Of course he's going to say Boss plows suck. Go with the Boss plow!
  3. 90pioneer

90pioneer Junior Member

What is your reasoning for picking the boss?
  4. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

$7300 sounds high, but I may be wrong. I have a V. You have plenty of truck for one, and you will like it doing the lots.

5. 90pioneer

90pioneer Junior Member

7300 includes in mount and installation if that matters
  6. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Maybe that isn't off base. I just bought my Hiniker 8 1/2' Poly V in February for $6100 out the door installed.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

West coast prices are a lot higher.
  8. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I wouldn't get that 7.5' fisher. You'll be disappointed with that small blade. Especially if you're doing commercial lots. Don't worry about manouvering that 8' plow in driveways. It'll be just fine. That long bed with such a long wheel base could be tricky but you'll be alright. I would probaly opt for that BossV. It's a heavy plow and you may need to get new timbrens and a possible leveling kit on the front end for better clearance. At the same time, $7300 is a lot of money to drop for a first time plower. Good luck with deciding.
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Buy the Boss, your going to love it.
  10. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Buy the Fisher..Your gonna Love it.....:rolleyes:.....Thumbs Up
  11. sealer700

sealer700 Junior Member

Ive had western which is pretty much the same as Fisher. I Also have 2 Boss v,s. Lets say I Sold the Western to buy the second Boss. What does that tell you. 10 years plowing commercial with boss and no Breakdowns
  12. bigboss1977

bigboss1977 Senior Member
    from Utah

Go with a BOSS plow.....LOVE my BOSS plow....BOSS plow parts are at least made in the USA.
  13. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

I would definitely go with a v blade but don't have any experience with boss. I love my v blade doing parking lots yet very capable doing driveways. The 8'6" isnt going to add any difficulty maneuvering in driveways than your long truck. Remember the 8'6" blade is only about 7'6" wide at full angle or scoop/v position. My 7'6" straight blade bearly clears the snow wide enough for the truck to drive through at full angle.
  14. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

I vote V plow just for having the extra options of scoop and V positions. You can fit a V plow anywhere you can a straight blade. I went from Fisher to BOSS. Will never buy another Fisher, but that's just me.

Being a first time plower, all I can say is plan your accounts out. You'll be amazed how much time you can save by taking the time ahead of time to organize an efficient attack plan. And don't forget the insurance.
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No HT I would recommend the 8 foot HD minimum if you get a fisher straight blade.

If you are thinking straight blade what price can you get on a Boss straight blade. Boss is lighter, has direct lift and a simpler wiring system, plus it sounds like your Fisher contact is a un-informed brand blinder wearing sleaze. You would rip a HT unit apart with that weight truck. Not good for you but lots of repairs for him.
  16. bob00

bob00 Senior Member

both boss and fisher are great plow and i am one of the fisher fan so its hard to say for me

sure you need at leas 8 feet plow he telling you 7.6 feet ht because its all wath his truck can berly take 1/2 ton are only good for invoice delivery

but in your situation i am guessing one man show you need more than good plow you need also dealer support or a ton of spear part in hand cause your dealer suck

go see both dealer in the service department and start asking question
    are they open on week end , Early in the morning or late at night ?

ask if they got an hard to find or expensive part in stock

cause a plow boke only wen you need it the most boss or fisher
  17. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I've got a question for the boss guys.

On youtube there are a couple of vids that say the boss V in either V or scoop positions has no trip feature.
    They show the truck hitting a solid obstacle and being stopped in its tracks because the trip only works in the straight position.

Can you boss owners shed some light on this?
  18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm not a Boss owner but I can clear it up. The Pressure Relief valves have to be properly adjusted for the wings to relive correctly. If the PR valves relief pressures are set to high then the wings cannot relive and allow the blade to trip. Also if the blade adjustment has the blade pitched rearward it restricts the ability of the wings to relive for proper trip. Both tricks unscrupulous marketeers will use to promote their product and discredit others.
  19. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

Go with the Boss I have been running them for ten years and never had one strand me the price is high but I'm in IL. I just bought a 9'2 VXT with smart locks and snow deflector with tax for $6000 I'm Installing it my self good luck