1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need experts advice! Fisher or Western Plow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by vogeltool, Oct 30, 2011.

1. vogeltool

vogeltool Junior Member
    from Ohio

First I have to say this site has been awesome for a first time plow purchaser's. I have been trolling the site for a couple of days and there is great content here.

Here is my dilemma. I am looking at 2 different plows that I have the opportunity to purchase.

I currently have a GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab Duramax. I purchased a Western Flo Pro 8800 that is like new shape with the wiring and controller for $500. I need to purchase a mount for it and trying to decide for the under bed mount or the bed mount. If there was a swing mount so I can get to the bed I would purchase it but from what I have read around here you need to fab your own mount for this.

The first plow is a Western Pro 8.6 that was on a Ford f-350. The plow is in good shape and and the hand held controls and wiring is all there. He left the mount and isolation module on the truck when he sold it so I will have to buy the mount regardless as it wouldn't fit and I will have to buy the isolation module and light harness for my truck. Everything he has for $800.
    After discussion with B&B on this site he pointed me to a mount for $565 plus shipping. Harness and module would cost me close to $250.

The second option is a Fischer 8' plow in good shape (Not sure of model) with the mount for my truck and all harnesses and hand held controls for $1000. This plow is coming off a 2002 chevy 2500 so I don't believe I would have to purchase anything extra with this setup.

I am going to be plowing my home drive and 2 of my offices with this setup. My buddy is partial to the Western plows and I do not have the knowledge personally of either as I am a newb. The western is 6" bigger al though I am not sure that would be a huge difference.

I will most likely take it to a local installer to have all installed as I don't have the time to install myself so I would imagine that price would be the same for either solution.

Last question. Does anyone know of a good installer in the Dayton, Cincinnati Ohio area.

I appreciate any advice you pro's out there could give me. And thanks in advance for your help. Once again this is an awesome site. I love reading everyone's experiences.

2. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

what kind of Fisher is it? IMO the fisher is a better plow especially if you are plowing a lot. mostly because of the different types of trip edges
  3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed fisher is the way to go.Is it a mm1 or mm2? The way to tell which it is does the plow have two or three plugs?Does it have a lever on the headgear that locks the pins into the pushplate.If it does then its a mm2 if you have to lock the drivers side pin in first then go around to the passengers side and lock that pin in its a mm1.If its also got a cable and a chain where the lift piston is its a mm2.And if the a-frame comes into the plow and comes up instead of straight in its a mm2.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  4. rjstone4

rjstone4 Member

hey just hookup my fisher when in hit the left control the plow turns right any ideas?
  5. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

are your hoses on right? what kind of plow. you say you hooked up the plow? did you install the truck side equipment to the truck? wiring, plow frame, etc?
  6. rjstone4

rjstone4 Member

i hook up my buddies control and it working right no so il get the rebuilt kit for my control thanks
  7. c&msnowplowing

c&msnowplowing Junior Member

There is no question in my mind which is the better plow. Those who have read my posts know I am an avid fisher fan. I have been plowing for 23 years now,averaging 40-50 accounts each year. I started out with a western and HATED IT! I live in upstate NY ( on the canadien border) and we get alot of heavy wet snow. The trip design of the Fisher is perfect for that type of snow. I have yet to see a western that doesn't "lay down" in heavy snow. I currently have an 8'6" extreme V stainless. Best on the market in my opinion. By the way, my original 92 Chevy is still plowing with the mm1 I put on it in 93. Only repair to the plow has been a selonoid and pump. Good luck and plow safe!!
  8. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Your asking this question in a Fisher forum. What do you think people are going to say? I would post somewhere else where you will get a non biased response.
    For what it's worth Fisher is the only way to go, mostly due to the trip design. The Western style is just stupid in my mind. I don't know why you would ever want that style trip.