1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need expert advice! Fisher or Western

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by vogeltool, Oct 30, 2011.

1. vogeltool

vogeltool Junior Member
    from Ohio

Not sure how this works as I am a newb. Posted this in the Fisher thread and reposted here since my questions is about both manufacturers.

First I have to say this site has been awesome for a first time plow purchaser's. I have been trolling the site for a couple of days and there is great content here.

Here is my dilemma. I am looking at 2 different plows that I have the opportunity to purchase.

I currently have a GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab Duramax. I purchased a Western Flo Pro 8800 that is like new shape with the wiring and controller for $500. I need to purchase a mount for it and trying to decide for the under bed mount or the bed mount. If there was a swing mount so I can get to the bed I would purchase it but from what I have read around here you need to fab your own mount for this.

The first plow is a Western Pro 8.6 that was on a Ford f-350. The plow is in good shape and and the hand held controls and wiring is all there. He left the mount and isolation module on the truck when he sold it so I will have to buy the mount regardless as it wouldn't fit and I will have to buy the isolation module and light harness for my truck. Everything he has for $800.
    After discussion with B&B on this site he pointed me to a mount for $565 plus shipping. Harness and module would cost me close to $250.

The second option is a Fischer 8' plow in good shape (Not sure of model) with the mount for my truck and all harnesses and hand held controls for $1000. This plow is coming off a 2002 chevy 2500 so I don't believe I would have to purchase anything extra with this setup.

I am going to be plowing my home drive and 2 of my offices with this setup. My buddy is partial to the Western plows and I do not have the knowledge personally of either as I am a newb. The western is 6" bigger al though I am not sure that would be a huge difference.

I will most likely take it to a local installer to have all installed as I don't have the time to install myself so I would imagine that price would be the same for either solution.

Last question. Does anyone know of a good installer in the Dayton, Cincinnati Ohio area.

I appreciate any advice you pro's out there could give me. And thanks in advance for your help. Once again this is an awesome site. I love reading everyone's experiences.

Jeff

2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

The fisher sounds like the better deal to me imo.

3. vogeltool

vogeltool Junior Member
    from Ohio

Glad someone agrees. It makes me feel better. I bought it a couple of days ago and take it to get put on tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. I can't wait to see how it does.

Thanks