1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need Experienced persons help ASAP!!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ecro77, Oct 27, 2011.

1. ecro77

ecro77 Junior Member

Hello- I am getting ready to buy a very nice 1997 gmc 2500 with the 6.5 Diesel. Am I going to have any isue with putting either a Fisher XLS, Extreme-V or X-blade on this truck? Need to know before I buy the truck.... Thank you!

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

xls might be to heavy but the 8 foot x blade would be good on that truck

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

XLS is a bit heavy but you could do it (not legally though), 8.5' XV would be fine, regular XBlade up to 9' would be fine. You can swap out the torsion bars if they seem worn or you want to reduce front end sag but the ride quality will suffer considerably with the plow off. Regardless of what plow you choose, A-arm frame gussets would be HIGHLY recommended!

4. ecro77

ecro77 Junior Member

Have you ever had any issues, or heard any where they might not install. It will be too late once I buy the truck....

5. ecro77

ecro77 Junior Member

Is it the weight of the engine that makes the diference? The dealer will install won't they? Haven't purchased the truck, and need to plow...haha

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Weight of the diesel is what makes the difference. Most dealers will not install a plow that is not recommended for the vehicle.

I am putting a XV on my diesel and I will be over weight. wesport

7. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

You probably will have to do the install yourself on any plow except the HD or SD series. The XLS is to heavy for your truck. Use Fishers EMATCH system to see what plow they recommend. It will also tell you the amount of ballast that you should use. The problem with the diesel pick ups is that the engine is so heavy that when you add the weight of the plow, you have to put so much ballast in the back that it goes over the GVWR and Fisher dealers should not install any plow that will make your truck exceed its GVWR with the proper ballast. Find out what EMATCH recommends and post it

8. ecro77

ecro77 Junior Member

E-Match says 7'-6" SD for me; dealer says an HD will work with A-arm supports.

9. ecro77

ecro77 Junior Member

Nice- Looks like the HD for me....maybe more like a V if I get enough A-arm support. We will see! Thanks tho!

10. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

I would follow the e match system as well. You say the truck is in good shape for a 1997 so don't go buying a big expensive plow that will blow out your front end and leave you in a world of hurt. A smaller lighter plow will work fine and save your pocket in the long run.

11. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

it's a 2500 so the most you could go would be an 8ft or 8.5ft. id go with the xblade. I love mine best straight blade ive ever owned.

12. ecro77

ecro77 Junior Member

Dealer was worried that the X might be too aggressive though? Steep angle, tough on anything other than pavement....

13. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

yea the xblade has a 75 degree attack angel. it scrapes the best and stacks the best.

14. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I'm sure you can find someone that will install whatever you want to buy for the truck. Ask around on here, i'm sure you'll find someone! If you can't find someone and want to go for a drive I'll install it for ya!

15. ecro77

ecro77 Junior Member

Ha ha....thanks!! I think I will go with what I know fo now...might regret it, but I have always used a staight plow...might as well stick with it....the truck has never plowered, and that is why I am anal about keeping it right! Down time cost mney a customers! Saver then sorry I guess!

16. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with a straight blade this season and see how the truck does.Then next season sell the straight blade and get a XLS,Xtreme V or X-blade. If you need a plow talk to Ryan aka Repoman hes in windham maine and very knowledgeable when it comes to fisher plows.

17. hobbyjeep

hobbyjeep Member

I plow with a 97 6.5L GMC w/Western 7.5 foot plow. Great truck to plow with because it's a diesel has lots of low end torque, runs much cooler than gas engine vehicles and dual batteries eliminate power issues. Also very good on fuel. I would like a V plow... maybe next year

18. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats why they put a raise feature on it.

19. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

For the money your best bet is the XV. It's about the same priceas the X blade, it only weighs 70lbs more and its easier on the truck because you can use it in the V position instead of straight blading all the snow. I just bought an XV, as for the extra wieght make sure you put on a set of timbrens and you'll be fine, maybe give your torsion bars a couple of turns

20. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

Of course you would have to do the install. If you aren't comfortable with that then go with the SD/HD