1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need experienced help !!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CGLC, Oct 29, 2009.

1. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

I have a 2007 f-250 that I need to put a hitch type mount Salter on. I currently use a small lesco hitch mount salter on a different truck and want to stay away that brand if possible. The commercial properties I manage are cheap and want to use salt sparingly so sticking around the $ 1000.00 mark is a must. I have looked at Salt Dog spreaders, but have no idea on the reliability of the unit. Any insight on brands would be great!!!
  2. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

Heard great things about the reliability of the buyers salt doggs as well as seen them around my area a lot. (i bought one this fall) prior to that i've used snow-ex and western both have done well. The price for the buyers stuff can't be beat though. Keep in mind that the salt doggs don't come with the swing or hitch mount (unless used) you've got to buy them seperately which some manufacturers include as a part of their spreader package.
  3. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

4. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Just do yourself a BIG favor and stay away from the Western 2500. It is a total waste of $$$$. I have an old Western 1000 and the Salt Dogg 1.5 yard and both are very good products.
  5. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

I've got a swing gate and like it, and even that isn't difficult to completely remove from the truck. That said, a lot of guys love the hitch mounts, both the western and the snow-ex i previously had were hitch mounts. As for removing it from the truck that all depends on how creative you are, what you have around to help you and how heavy the spreader is. If you get a light weight spreader it shouldn't be a problem, if you get a larger one it is easier done with two people or some guys build stands or use engine hoists to remove them easily.

I personally chose the swing mount because:

1. i don't have the greatest back in the world

2. once the spreader goes on the truck i don't want to take it off till spring but still have to be able to load the bed with a fork lift.
  6. kyle1710

kyle1710 Member
    from ohio

The TGS05 is a decent spreader, but you might want to stay away from the TGS06. my 2 cents.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have a Western 1000 and it works great.
    Use DRY material for best results and to keep the material flowing.