1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need estimating help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by danny santos, Sep 14, 2009.

1. danny santos

danny santos Junior Member

Im in Chicago Illinois. I'm an excavating contractor that has struggled this last 2 yrs, but managed to keep my eqipment. Thank God. God has sent me a opportunity to do the snow removal for 4 properties but, customer needs me to start on the 1st property just to see if we are in the budget he has in place.

The services are as follows; this is a warehouse that is used as cross docking traffic is slow though on site it is 582,000 sqft.

Weather events: (1)When there is continuous snow for one weather system with no more than 4 hours. (2) If it exceeds 4 hrs it will be considered 2 weather events.

Details: Snow shall be cleared in all roadways, firelanes, storefront sidewalks, stairways, truck courts and loading docks. A single application of salt shall be applied to all hard surface areas after clearing of snow.

The contractor will dispatch servicemen to perform following services:
    Snow must be cleared in most effictive manner based on weather conditions. Must maintain access for tenants and their operation from 6 am to 9 pm, not to exceed 2 ''. In drivelanes, truck courts and docks walkways between 9 pm and 6 am snow will be allowed to accumulate at discretion of contractor to minimize visits but properties with tenants with 24 hr operation will be same as 6-9 rules.
    On weekend and holiday snow can accumulate also, but be cleared for business day.

Weather events of ice precipitation contractor will be responsible to apply 1 aplication of salt. If more salt is needed, approval from other owner is needed.

Contractor must maintain drifting snow. If snow needs to be removed from site, owner approval is required.

If snow accumulation exceeds properties available storage space, owner's approval is needed. Price will be at a time and material rate.

All snow removal damages incurred will be rapaired or replaced at contractor's expense by May 15TH of the following year.

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Give us a drawing or satellite view or something visable to work with. Those are pretty nice guidelines to work with IMHO.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  3. danny santos

the site is 582,000 sqft i dont have plan it is all drivelanes and loading docks

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like quite a blessing for you to keep working this winter. What do you have for equipment?

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Well without seeing it it'll be hard to help. Overall size has nothing to do with the #'s, well to a point it does, but it's not everything by any means.

6. danny santos

i have one rubber tire front end loader ,and 3 skidsters, 1pc 6 wheeler dump, 1pc 4 wheeler dump, 1 plow truck allso i have 2 semi dump truck im a excavator and 2 excavators but i cant use these

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  7. danny santos

the lot has the 478,000 sqft building in middle of it all a road all the way around its all sqare and there is pleanty of space to push to all the way around

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you can go to Google maps or something and put in the address to get a satellite view.

9. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Are you asking for a price or how to do it?

Are you saying the property has 2.39 acres of area to be plowed?

10. danny santos

we're trying to get a quote to the owner as soon as we can, but aren't 100% sure on how to bid this project. The hard surface area to be plowed is 581,880 square feet.

11. danny santos

we think a seasonal rate of 195,000 or $13,000 per occurance, including snow removal and salt application

12. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Sounds a little high-LOL-maybe you should ask GOD for his opinion.

13. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

WHAT?

581,000 square feet is about 13 acres.

Takes about 1 hour more or less to clear 1.0 to 1.5 acres with a pickup with plow.
    We need a satellite view.

14. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

God bless you Danny if you can get those rates.........

Most likely your "per occurrence" rate will be more than 2x what it will really go for.

How 'bout details on the walks..............got square footage of those??

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you are way high. Really need pics. One big lot is much different than moving around a million islands.

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Yeah X2 on not only my original post, but most of those following. We need more to help, and bear in mind that's what we're trying to do. It's your first day here and this is your first post, requesting our help. We will be more than happy to assist you in HOW to go about the estimate, but please don't expect anyone to give you a price from an estimated sq ft.

Lastly, do these pieces of equpt have push boxes or at least plows? That makes a big difference. Don't plan on accomplishing much with a bucket.

17. terrapro

from MI

LOL no he said there is a 478K building on a 582k property so I just subtracted, thats why I was asking because it wasn't clear.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Post #10 says there is 582K sq. ft. to be plowed. Until we get a pic or drawing we must as well just shoot the breeze. Which we're all very good at BTW.

19. terrapro

from MI

Yeah, I figured in his post 10 he was answering my post number 9 where I asked him if that is what he meant. :)

20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

So guys, hows it goin this morning?! :)