1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Engine

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by vhahn, Feb 14, 2002.

1. vhahn

vhahn Junior Member

I'm a chick that basically knows nothing about trucks, other than that I have one--an '83 Chevy truck that has no engine and needs one. How do I go about trying to find an engine for it? And does anyone know about how much that may cost?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get!

Valda

2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Where to start......... That's a heck of a project you are going to have, being that you are in california and have to make the vehicle emmissions legal. Lets just say, it's going to be expensive. I'd start by locating the sticker on top of the radiator support bracket, under the hood, which will have the original engine displacement and emmissions equipment (catalyst, non-catalyst). You will need an air pump, and EGR intake and carb off one of these trucks, or a stock replacement equipment. You might get lucky and find a whole setup in a junk yard, but who knows how it will work, or if it will pass the sniffer test. A reman motor without a core will probably cost a little over a thousand dollars from napa or schucks. Good luck

Marcus

3. vhahn

vhahn Junior Member

I'm not sure what the first part of your email meant exactly. The last part about getting a remanufactured engine sounds pretty good--and you can do that through Napa type places, huh? I don't want to have to mess with the engine at all, buying different parts here and there or trying to find one in a junk vehicle. I just want to buy a whole engine from somewhere and pay someone to put it in. Can't this just be like buying tires...you give the year, make, model of your car, and they tell you what model tire you need? That's all I want--simple. :) And what do you mean "without a core"?

Thanks!!

Valda

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

"Core" is a term used when buying rebuilt parts, it refers to your old part that you turn in - it in turn gets rebuilt. Generally, rebuilt parts have a "core charge", in essence a deposit that you get back when you hand in the old part. If there is no old part to turn in, the rebuilder keeps the core charge and uses it to buy another used part for rebuilding.

Figuring out which engine is the right one is a bit more complicated than tires for a couple of reasons. One, in a given model year there are usually a number of engine choices: Off the top of my head I believe that '83 pickups were available with a 292 inline 6, 305 and 350 small block V-8's and a 454 big-block V-8. Not all the engine choices were available in all the models though.

As Marcus mentioned, California requires you to be "smog legal" so your pollution control stuff has to be in place - this is the "air pump" and "EGR valve" (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) he refers to. "Catalyst" and "non-catalyst" refers to a catalytic converter which is part of the exhaust system and also a pollution control device. What pollution stuff your truck has will depend on whether it's a 1/2, 3/4 or 1-ton and which engine it was built with.

There's also a couple different radiator sizes depending on the engine - bigger engine or heavy-duty application requires more cooling capacity.

When you open the hood, near the hood latch should be a sticker and this should have a description of the engine size (displacement) and emission control equipment. If the sticker isn't there any more, you're into guesswork mode.

To start off with, is the truck a 1/2-ton (10 series) 3/4-ton (20 series) or 1-ton (30 series) ? "10/20/30" refers to the number on the trim badge located on the fender. And, is it 2wd or 4wd?

If you haven't visited there already, check out www.chuckschevytruckpages.com for Chev/GMC pickup info. :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2002
  5. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Just out of curiousity, is the person that'll be putting the engine in someone you know and trust, or will they look at you and say, "She's a chick that basically knows nothing about trucks, other than that she has one....Here my chance to make a fast buck"? You might do better to just go buy a used one....