1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need electrical help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Banksy, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I have an '88 Dodge D150 with a Meyer plow. When I turn the turn signals on they work fine, good speed and brightness. When I turn on the head lights , whether it be the truck lights or the plow head lights, the turn signals dim and slow down and kind of dim the head lights. Where should I start looking or what needs to be replaced. Thanks guys.
  2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Check the grounds..
  3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Grounds, check. The plow head lights are a little dim to begin with, I forgot to mention that. I'll start with the grounds for all. This thing looks like a wiring night mare :cry: .
  4. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

If you dont have the literature for the lites i would go to cpw's web site and log on as a user it has changed since i was last there but they have the digrams for the lite kits. http://www.centralparts.com/Default.aspx
    if its a 88 try kit 1-609 in the meyers literature under light systems click on the tab troubleshoot. But if the lites are dim its almost a ground issue. Do you have the old plugs on the lites they tend to get junk in them and rot the connections away.:waving:
  5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

All i can say Bansky is that it would either be a ground or an old rotten connection. Just tripple check everything. You can never be too sure about it. On a long shot it could be the alternator is either going bad or you need a heavier duty one. Like I said in my new truck post, Dodge wiring is a nightmare!
  6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It has a new alternator on it that my buddy put on before he sold it to me. The connections are kind of funky looking so I'll probably change them. I'll go over the grounds tomorrow. Thanks guys.
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Well you have narrowed it to the headlight circuit?

Pull the fusses at the fuse box
    next disconnect the pos lead at the batt.
    Get your volt meter and cheek for any voltage there should be none, 0
    (between the pos and batt)( any voltage shows a short)
    now start to put the fusses back in one at a time.
    seeing you suspect the lights start there.
    when you see the voltage go up you have found the circuit with the short.

Was this happing with the plow on or off? Replaced any lights recently?
    Trailer plug? a common location for bad wires.
    Yes, finding this problems can be a hassle. but it sounds like a short in the wires for the lights. fallow the wires from the lights back to the switch,

Some times the flasher goes bad, just an idea..
    good luck:waving:
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I plan on buying new plow lights anyways, but I'd rather get rid of problems now before they go on. Thanks for the tips.