1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need electrical help

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Gottadoo, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Gottadoo

Gottadoo Junior Member

this is my first post fellas so go easy on me.

i'm plowing for a friend of mine that is in cuba for a week.
    it's an 02 dodge with a boss v plow and a "joy stick" for a remote.

i was doing the lot yesterday and the volt guage dropped right off and i could smell something hot.
    i unplugged the remote and the volt came back up. i plugged it back in and it worked fine.

went inside for a minute, came back out, plow will not lift, or move at all. checked for power at the plug for the remote, no problem.
    checked under the hood and the terminal on the solonoid (spell) that goes to the pump is melted right off.

now, i have located a new solonoid. what should i check before i plug it in so i don't screw up the new one too?

thanks for the help, great site
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've seen this happen before. Could be one of 2 things off the top of my head. A surge coming from the alternator or a bad solonoid. Be sure that all your electrical connections are free of corrosion and have dielectric grease on them. Good luck.
  3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the controller could be bad too. and check the inline fuse that goes from the battery to the plow wiring harness. you might have to jack up the plow and chain it up and take it to a plow shop. good luck and if there is any more questions as away.

BROWNS SNOWPLOW Junior Member

You definatley want to check all conections including the ground wires, also you should put a decent in line fuse in, so as you dont corrupt the rest of the electrical coponents
  5. Gottadoo

Gottadoo Junior Member

thanks fella

will the fuse be close to the battery?

when i get it back together, if the remote doesn't work can i jump wires to get the plow up?