1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need electrical help with Western install

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by outdoorfan, Oct 5, 2011.

1. outdoorfan

outdoorfan Member

I'm posting this here instead of the Western forum 'cause I figured this stuff is pretty universal info. Okay, I'm replacing the relay selenoid on my Unimount. The upgraded relay is the rounded Trombetta one. The instructions suck. It doesn't say necessarily which is positive or negative...only gives casual description of the cables themselves.

But here's another issue and main reason I'm posting this question. While I had the power cables disconnected from the battery, I checked continuity/resistance of the various cables. Turns out there is continuity between the pos and neg posts on the pump motor itself. I don't understand the internals and how the motor works, so I'm a bit surprised by this. Seems to me that having continuity between those two would be like putting the pos and neg posts of the battery together (fireworks).

I've only had this plow a short time, and the motor seemed to work okay (with jumpers attached), but I'm still a bit unsure of this and want to hear somebody who understands this stuff tell me that either "Yes, there should be continuity between those two terminals", or "NO, there shouldn't be".

2. outdoorfan

outdoorfan Member

Okay, know I need help in figuring out how to properly install the Trombetta relay. I hooked things up according to the way the instructions said (or so I thought), but now the joystick wants to stay on even when the power switch is shut off. Weird stuff.

This should be simple and straight forward. I don't get why it's not working right. I'll recheck it again tomorrow in the daylight.

Anyone got a diagram that shows what's what?

3. outdoorfan

outdoorfan Member

I've been doing some reading, and it doesn't look like it matters which small terminal gets the positive or negative. I suppose it doesn't matter on the large terminals either, as long as they both get positives. Is this right?

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

both cables must be positive. in from battery, out to plow. the small ones, ground and activate from control do not matter.

power to the controller should be switched by the ignition switch, via the fuse box.

5. outdoorfan

outdoorfan Member

Ok, thanks. I think I got it right.

6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

If this is the motor solinoid you are speaking of, it should look somthing like this.

Plow Solinoid.jpg

7. outdoorfan

outdoorfan Member

Thanks for the picture. I'm pretty sure that's how I have it hooked up. I didn't have time today to further troubleshoot. Hopefully tomorrow.