1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need drive shaft - u joint help ASAP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by elite1msmith, Nov 9, 2010.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

04 dodge ram 2500 4x4 quad cab, short bed, auto trans, 140k miles- hemi

i had to install a new rear u joint.

old one came out no problem (which was bad)

installed the new one to the drive shaft, and i cant hardly flex the joint. i ran into this problem a few years ago, but cant remeber what i did about it

what the problem is the u joint caps are too wide once installed. i was able to get the retaining clips into place but one side or the other looks like it bows out becasue its not sitting flat. to get it to work i had to hammer the caps towrds each other, and now the cap binds the joint and casues it to not flex properly

should i grind and remove .01 to get this to work, or should i just take the joint back to the store, or is this very tight joint normal and will wear in correctly?
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Do what you need to do to secure the clips

then place the exposed caps in a soft rag, put them across the vise and give the side with the clips installed a few whacks with a hammer, that typically loosens up the joint. Do both sides and you should be ok. A problem will arise and you will split the cap on the clip side if you have a roller wedged in between and will not allow the cap to seat fully on the joint. Several years ago we invested in an arbor press and that as helped greatly with u-joint installs.

Good luck!
  3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

x2 most likely you have a needle wedged causing the joint not to seat. make sure the joint is centered on the yoke when you push the caps in. push all 4 in slowly al ittle bit at a time. i find a press or a c clamp works good to push th caps in. if the caps go in tight clean the yokes good with some sandpaper.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

X3 you have a needle bearing that fell between the cap and the cross.
  5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

This is the reason I pay the extra $10 or so and have the driveline shop do it. ;)

I know it doesn't help now, but something to consider next time.
  6. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Try giving the yoke a few light whacks with a ball peen or other small hammer on all sides. As long as the joint is installed correctly (no misplaced needles), this should let the yokes springs to their natural postion.
  7. the_experience

the_experience Member

This. If a roller were misplaced there is no way you would get the clips on. Push it together and get the clips on all the caps and then whack it all over with a hammer. Smacking it where it flares out from the shaft diameter is where I have had the best luck.
  8. timberjack

timberjack Member

I agree too. In all the u joints i've replaced, vehicles, tractors, skidders, etc. When a needle bearing fell into the cup on assembly, i've never been able to seat the cup far enough to put the 2nd clip in.

A few well tempered hits with a hammer in the right spots should seat them right, and loosen up the ujoint.
  9. stonewellmark

stonewellmark Member

I agree with JCBYRD24 and THE EXPERIENCE often when replacing joints the yolks get bent inward a little and need to be "adjusted" with a persuasion devise ie. the BFH.