1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Dodge Ram driver's opinions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by yukonslt3, Dec 13, 2010.

1. yukonslt3

yukonslt3 Junior Member

Hello I have a 96 chevy 1500 4x4 ext cab with a fisher minute mount plow that takes 20min to a 1/2hr to put on. well the truck has 19x,xxx miles rusted right through the rocker panels blah blah blah its on its last leg the only thing I do is put u-joints regular maintenance, and tires. well I'm looking on switching to dodge, and was wondering how they handle pushing the snow, and as a daily driver. I plow residential and one small parkinglot so I was wondering does the ram 1500 hold up like the chevy 1500 or am I better off in general to buy the 2500. Also if I did buy the 1500 would the 5.2/318 push snow or struggle or should I buy the 5.9/360. I almost forgot the only years I like are the 94-01 1500's and the 94-02 2500's Thanks for your opinions and answers.
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

That generation of 1500 Rams had a D44 front axle, same style suspension as the 2500's. There are tons of these truck running around with plows in my area.

It's easy to swap 2500 coil springs in them for extra carrying capacity. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, but of course I would prefer the 360 over the 318.
  3. resq31

resq31 Junior Member

I just purchased a 2010 Ram 1500 Big Horn series, it has the bigger 20" tires on it. I had to put in a 2" front leveling kit. It pushes snow with no problem, carries weight of salt and tailgate spreader to. And it still rides nice. Dont sweat it, if ya get the dodge it will do fine. Of course a heavier duty truck is what I will probably be trading for next year...I am using a brand new meyers drive pro right now, and want to get a lot pro.
  4. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I have a 96 2500 with 5.9 V8 and 8.5' western and western 1000 spreader. I put the 2500 Diesel springs in the front for the lift strength and when the lpow is lifted the truck doesn't drop more that 1/2". The truck has the Dana 60 axles and plows great. I am using an Ultra to Uni adapter so the plow sticks out there a little farther than I like, but it works. Go with a 2500 if you can afford it. Hope this helps.
  5. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

I had a '96 and and an '02 one had the 318 and the other the 360 and both worked just fine. My only suggestion is if you plan on getting more accounts to possibly think about a
    2500. Only because both of my 1500's I plowed alot and had to replace most of the front suspension about every 3 years. So it really all depends on how much you are going to work the truck

The '02 is for sale!
  6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I had an 01 1500, reg.cab short box. I set it up with 3/4ton front springs. I also had the 318. Trannys are weaker in this generation model but this truck plowed great.
  7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I beat the piss out of my 94' 1500 dodge. However that being said, I vastly prefer pushing snow with my 00' 2500 CTD.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

if your going to be working it you might as well get a 2500, everything is beefier, even the cooling system, my old 1500 used to heat up all the time with a plow on it, i was constently stopping to let it cool down, my 2500's have never had a problem.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Look for a 91-02 2500 Dodge with a V10. It will be very thursty but cheap to maintain. The plus is that they are usually very resonable to buy because of the GPM. (Gallons Per Mile) Best bang for the buck for an entery plow vehicle.
  10. Mine is a '98 2500 Laramie. 360 Cu. In. It has a new 8' Boss Commercial Duty str. blade. You almost can't squat it by loading the bed. It is starting to rust s little. The old engine blew at 68k miles back in Sept. I put a Chrysler Re-man 360 back in it via a dealer.....$8,300 !!///w/ 100k mi. warranty.
    I've heard the 318s are hard on trannys. There is no Dodge truck anywhere that isn't thirsty !

Rides nice and sits up like my 79 chev did w/ a 4" lift kit back in the day.

I was worried about it getting hot. Hasn't yet, not even close. Only have two storms on the rig and only about 6-8 small accounts, but lots of drive time in between. Stock coil springs on the front and no timkens needed.

**If was going to do just residential driveways only, I'd get a jeep w/ a 6' blade. SOOO much easier to maneuver. The long bed truck isn't easy to turn around at all. And, Jeeps are cheap, but hard to hang a salter off the back of one.

Never get a manual trans, far to much hand work in the cab.
  11. Cromer_22

Cromer_22 Junior Member

I'd go 03-09 2500 all the way