1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Dana 60 rear end?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Chris4351, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Chris4351

Chris4351 Junior Member

Hey all, I'm not a regular here, but I think you guys might be able to help me. My father is having some trouble with his full size Dodge 2500 Van, and was told that he needs a new rear. The mechanic told him a 10 bolt housing with 8 lug hubs and a .409 ratio. I race 4 cylinders and as far I knew the hubs didn't have anything to do with the differential ???
    My question is basically what do I look for/ask for, when searching for a used rear ?? Do I strictly need that rear or will others work? Thanks for any help you guys can give me. :)

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

you need exactly what the mechanic told you, and you want to ask for exactly what the mechanic told you.

In a 4 cyl you have at most 5 lugs because the weight capcity of a little 4 banger car is nil. A 2500 is a 3/4 ton truck and for thatr weight capacity they are 8 lug wheels, thus 2 lug hubs. Not all Dana 60's are 8 lug, there is a 5 lug version for heavy duty 1/2 ton applications.

What you need depends on exactly what is worn out and what year the truck is. All componants in the rear axle can be replaced individually. Call junk yards looking for a rear axle (if that's what you have decided you want to look for) for the truck giving the make and model of the truck. Just be ready to verify the specifics when you pick it up.

The gear ratio can usually be changed, but there is normally 2 differet sized carriers depending on the gear ratio so you need to be sure you have the correct size carrier for the ration you want.

Find out exactly what's worn out and needs replacement in the rear then check prices for that piece itself before trying for a replacement rear axle. It's usually not worth the hassle of installing. Bearings are cheap, and it's not that much work to overhaul a rear end completely as opposed to swapping out a complete axle and resetting the pinion angle plus checking adjustments on the replacement....