1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need cheap commercial insurance in southern mass!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by cgillispn, Oct 26, 2004.

1. cgillispn

cgillispn Member

Hi, I live in plymouth, Ma. I need a commercial policy for plowing. I have gotten a couple of quotes for my 94 F250 for $2500-3000/year full coverage. Does anyone know of any cheap insurance agencies around? Thanks, Craig

2. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Cheap and insurance cannot be used together in the same sentence.

The rates you got quoted are low enough. Mine is almost triple that per year for one truck and that only includes property damage, not liability for slips and falls,etc.

3. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I'd love to know where some guys get these numbers....

I'm in Middleboro and I'm going to be looking into it this week and I'll come back and post an update.

There are guys on here who say they pay $850.00 a year for 2 mil liability and others who are talking about $3500 to 4 grand a year! That's a hell of a difference.

Some guys say they are covered under the policies they have for landscaping liability, which they say also covers plowing and is cheaper than having insurance solely for plowing. I'm a plumber and I'm going to find out if I can combine or stretch my liability for that to include the plow in a cheaper way than having a separate policy for it.

But, the only thing that seems consistent is what a pain in the ass the insurance is. Big money and if you don't have it, you leave yourself open to some ass trying to take your house or something if you screw up. Not a good situation, but it is the reality I suppose.

I think the key is to find a really good accountant who can work the numbers for you so you save as much as possible in write-offs for your equipment and allowable expenses. The money saved there may off set the cost of the insurance, at least I hope it'll work that way.

I'll let you know how I make out by the end of the week.

And, of course, CONGRATULATIONS SOX!!!!!!!! :redbounce
    and :gunsfiring: to the Yankees!

4. usabestsnoplowr

usabestsnoplowr Junior Member

Progrssive was named best in price in the north east but you have to have good credit. Credit plays a lot now in how the ins. companies quote you a rate.

5. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Well I got my answers.

I'm getting a commercial policy (through Travelers) and commercial plates. The policy will include up to 1 million coverage for property damage while plowing. It also covers damage to the plow itself, whether it's my fault or not, with a $500.00 deductible of course. I also have $100,000/$300,000 on bodily injury. The best part is that it's only going to cost me just over $1,300.00/yr. and before I was paying about $1,280.00 just for my regular truck insurance anyway. So for me this works out great! It's only about an extra 40 bucks!

A separate liability policy, which would cover me for sanding/salting/shoveling slip/fall type stuff would be about $1,700.00 per year. I'm not going to get it as I'm not responsible for that stuff, I don't get out of the truck for my accounts. I just plow. Although true that anybody can sue you at any time for anything, it's unlikely I'd be held liable for anything like that when all I'm being paid to do is plow. The homeowner is responsible for the shoveling, sanding and salting in our arrangement and it'll be written up that way. The agent also said they rarely sell sep. liability to small time operators like me, only to bigger businesses running several vehicles and men who do all aspects of snow and ice management.

So, hopefully, this will suit me fine for what I'll be doing.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

7. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Thanks Mick.

I know that you're right in the long run but from a purely financial point of view I just can't afford $1,700.00 for a season. I don't even know if I'll make that much with the blade! So I have to take the risk I guess. The way I see it, let them sue me if they want, they still have to win. If I have a contract that says I was only hired and paid to plow, I can't see a judge saying it's my fault some idiot fell and called an ambulance chaser. What if I hadn't plowed at all? Then it would be more likely than ever someone would fall, is that my fault too? I don't see a judge saying I should have taken it upon myself to provide additional services (salt/sand) for which I'm not being paid and without the homeowner's permission because I should have "forseen" that somebody just might slip and fall.

Don't get me wrong Mick, I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining how I'm justifying taking the risk of not getting the extra insurance. I appreciate your advice, believe me. I just wish I had the bankroll to take it! Instead, I'll just set up a trust and put my house into it so if I do get sued, they won't have much to take!

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

In some situations I can see the whole act of plowing creating a surface which is MORE likely to cause a slip an fall. Most blades will not scrape the area totally clean of the snow. That leaves a thin/small amount of snow. In my opinion this is when the surface will become slick... How many times have you slipped in 6" of snow???

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Hey, John. No problem. Like you said - they still have to win. Here's to a good season and lots of money coming in :drinkup: :waving: .

10. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Well, you have a point too.
    I suppose we could all debate that one until we're all :dizzy:

We all know it depends on alot of other things, like whether or not there's already ice under the fresh snow. Or, if the sun comes out that morning and where you plowed quickly becomes blacktop again. If it's not plowed and it melts a little and freezes again always creates a messy situation.

Bottom line, none of us can anticipate everything. Sometimes, all a simple man of good character can do is proceed with the best intentions, try hard to do the right thing, and hope everything all works out in the end. :nod:

I'm with Mick, let's think positive and hope for lots of snow, lots of money, and no problems! :drinkup:

11. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Not sure how many of do this but would like to know.
    To save money on plow insurance do you drop your insurance durning the summer or are you paying for it even though you are not using it?

My insurance provider will suspend my plowers insurance after the season saveing me about 40% over the year. i do still keep only the trucks I use insured but not for plowing. and just a phone call reinsures them next year..

Dwan

12. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I can tell you what my agent said about that. I did ask because like I say above, I don't have the $1,700.00 for the 1 year of liability coverage. All I can afford is the commercial policy that covers property damage. So, I asked about just what you're saying, if I could have it pro-rated for just the season, so instead of paying the full amount I'd pay say 4 mos. worth instead.

Of course, they said no. They require the full amount pre-paid and you can't cancel it. They said it's because guys would sign up, get the certificate that they were covered for liability so they could show customers they had coverage, then cancel it a few weeks or months later. So they changed it to make sure that either you're in and you pay, or you're out.

A lousy situation for sure. They sure don't make it easy for us one-man bands!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  13. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

That sounds like a good idea the insurance comp. came up with. Now it will help cut down on the number of lying uninsured contractors out there which in the end will mean more $$$ for all of us!