1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Buyers Pro Wing wisdom

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE, Jan 5, 2003.

1. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

I installed my Buyers Pro Wings tonight on a 7' Western Pro Plow. I took great care in the installation to get everything to line up just right and they look great . (Even put reflective tape as the thread the other day suggested-really nice). I have no experience with the wings and have never really even looked at any others up close-my question is this: There is a very small gap where the plow's cutting edge and the wing's cutting edge go opposite directions at the pavement. I pressed them together as tight as I could when I installed them. Won't this trail snow? We had a little snow on the parking lot at work and I tried them out-but I couldn't really tell-you could see just a bit where the gap was. Is there a trick to this? Am I expecting too much? Will it work better once the wings edge gets beveled? I am anxious to see what you guys have to say. It's snowing outside now and I plan to plow tommorrow morning-any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

2. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I had to bevel the rubber of the wing to make it fit tight to the plows cutting edge.
    I just used a hand saw and it cut very easily.

Hope you can make it work,
    Mark K

3. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

We've run Pro Wings since 1995 on our Meyers. That little hole will fill in with snow and ice. Don't sweat it. In our opinion, the wings design suck from the factory. We added more steel to the bottom of the wings to decrease the amount of rubber allowed to fold under. This worked well for us. We finally just threw away the rubber and installed steel edges. We have done this for years now. You gotta be a welder to make this work but we like it.:) Now we run 1 inch thick steel cutting edges from tip to tip. I'll be the first to admit. These wings get abused sometimes. So what. Easily and inexpensively fixed. Good luck.

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Like Highpoint said, the small gap will fill in with compacted snow & ice & stop any trail off soon into the plowing event, unless it's a real big gap. I replaced the rubber with Urethane & this has been my greatest improvement idea for the wings. They certainly take abuse well, & like Highpoint said, its easy to fix them, and cheap to replace if needed.

5. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

You guys were right, and the wings worked really well. A BIG improvement especially since I have a small 7' blade-I can actually take a decent size "bite" of snow when angling now.
    :)