1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need break HELP!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by milwaukeevtwin, Nov 22, 2009.

1. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

89 chevy 2500. I installed all new lines, master cylinder, calipers and over an hour bleeding the breaks. I just do not have a lot of pedal and when i hit them a little hard the truck pulls to the right. Also the front breaks seem to stick when i come to a stop and then go to take off again. ANY SUGGESTIONS? I have been trying to get this correct for the last two days. This is driving me nuts. Maybe bad calipers? Also when i pump the break i get air bubbles in the front part of the master cylinder. How can i get these out?
    Thanks, Ron

2. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

you did bench bleed the master ?????

3. milwaukeevtwin

Filled with fluid and let it come out the line holes before installed. I have had it install and let the fluid run through it with pressure also. Bleeding it at the master. Still get bubbles in the mater.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Did you replace the flex lines too?

5. TLB

TLB Senior Member

One step ahead of me 2COR517;)

Common problem with flex hose is that they break down inside over time.

You replaced everything else so take it one step further.

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

U have a bad hose or caliper!

7. milwaukeevtwin

What flex lines? Line off master cylinder? Yes. Rubber lines going to calipers. NO

8. milwaukeevtwin

Brakes

Is that why it pulls to one side? Why air bubbles in the master cylinder? Will a power bleeder work?

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Change those out, along with the rear one.

10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure the Slider bolts are lubed up real good other wise the caliper may bind a bit causing brake sticking....
    Bubbles in the Master may mean there is a leak or a bad O ring there should not be bubbles in the Master when you pump the brakes....

11. milwaukeevtwin

Bad o ring in the master cylinder?

12. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Your proportioning valve could be stuck over to one side.
    Happens alot when people first pump up the brakes to bleed and they push the
    pedal all the way down to pump it up.
    Causes a crappy pedal and sticky/grabbing brakes
    Sometimes the rust inside the valve will cause it to stick.With the truck off i have
    had luck with pumping up the pedal then giving it a hard shot to try to force the piston
    back.
    Normaly works,but sometimes takes a few boots.
    Just my thoughts for the day.

13. brad96z28

Its not gona make it pull to one side. Now would u please change ur brake hoses or caliper.Easy to check with 2 people. And u also know u start bleeding with the furthest wheel from the master and work ur way to the closest and U cant just fill it up and let the fluid run out u need to pump it up in a vise or something and bench bleed it correctly before u put it on the truck. Then should take 5 min to bleed the whole truck.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  14. milwaukeevtwin

Brakes

Took it out on the highway and hit the brakes hard the truck pulled so hard to the right that i could have put it in the ditch. The right caliper is sticking a little and i can smell it. I am going to try to lube the bolts tomorrow and see if this helps.
    Thanks, Ron

15. brad96z28

The caliper piston is sticking or ur hose is colapsed.If u need help on how to ck what one it is, I can pm u my number and walk u through it. Its quite simple and it is the first thing u do when u have a brake pull.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  16. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

crack each bleeder on the caliper one at a time. take a c clamp push the caliper in with the bleeder open. if the caliper pushes in the caliper is good. also dose this truck have abs???

17. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

brakes hose/caliper

hi ,here goes,pump the pedal 6-8 times with the vehicle engine running,turn off next imediately un-skrew the brake hose at the caliper(banjo bolt),only unskrew partway if fluid SQUIRTS out not a drizzle the brake hoses is restricted.and rt frt wheel turns more freely.replace rubber hose.and or// if after unskrewing rubber hose banjo bolt the rt.frt. wheel still rotates excessivly hard the caliper stuck...possibly the slide pins siezed,common problem,if not seized rusted..replace caliper..my opinion..

18. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes on the Plunger ..... Or piston...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  19. milwaukeevtwin

Brakes

Took the caliper bolts out and cleaned them and greased, put them back in and it is the same. The hoses do not look bad? Maybe junk new calipers? I better replace both and start over.
    Thanks, Ron

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You're a stubborn one, aren't you? The hoses can look perfect on the outside, and be deteriorated on the inside. This does two things - The bad hose restricts the flow of fluid to the right caliper, so you have very little braking on the right. But once th fluid does get in there, it can't get out which causes the brake to drag.

Welded Wrenches eluded to a good way to see if your flex hose is bad. Front tires off. Pump the brakes hard several times so they are solid. Try to push the piston back in the right caliper, like if you were going to change the pads. I'm guessing the right one will be very difficult to move, if it moves at all. Loosen the bleeder screw or banjo bolt on the right caliper, and try again. It will likely move back very easily now. Replace the hose.......

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009