1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Bobcat 742b Skidsteer Snow removal recommendations

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Toby0987, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Toby0987

Toby0987 Junior Member
    from Iowa

I own a 1992 Bobcat 742b Skidsteer, 36 hp, 4850lbs, 1300 capacity. I am looking to use it for snow removal this winter for my drive. My driveway is 1/4 mile long and goes down a hill in a curve. Right now I have a 60 inch standard bucket and it works OK, but I would like to get something that can move the snow faster and allow me to drive into a snow pile and not have the wheels get stuck because the bucket is too narrow. I need to be able to move the snow from the north side of the driveway to the south side. I looked into a snow bucket, but a 74" weighs 609lbs and costs $1000 from Bobcat. I don't know what my bucket weighs. Do you think my machine could handle that large of a bucket for snow removal and if so are there any other cheaper places for a snow bucket?

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

There are many places that sell aftermarket skid steer buckets for less than $1k. Maybe look through your local Craig's List or ask someone at an implement dealer. And I definitely think your machine can handle a bucket that's around 6' in size.

Have you looked into getting a plow for it? You can move a lot of snow with the right setup.