1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need bidding help please!!!!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by witty, Aug 11, 2008.

1. witty

witty Junior Member

Hi everyone, i need some help bidding a 130,000sqft. parking lot with sidewalks. i do not have any pictures to post due to the lot being new construction. the manager at the facility wants me to place a seasonal bid on plowing and salting. i have been in the business for approx. 9 years now but never placed a season bid before. i charge my commercial lots by the per-inch and charge salt by per application. the parking lot is shaped in a "L" shape. according to the blueprints, there will be 22 islands throughout the lot which i don't think will obstruct my plowing path the way i want to push the snow.

this guy wants a price asap. i usually do not like to bid on new construction lots until the black top has been installed. the reason for this is because i like to check the slope of the lot for water runoff (for overnight freeze) and also to see where the drains are positioned so i know where to push the snow. this lot will be nice to have if i get it. i will have two -three trucks plowing this lot at the same time. i also will have my buddies backhoe on standby in case i have to move snow piles around. oh, i almost forgot, foot and vehicle traffic will be 6 days a week from 7a-10p. not sure how much though.

1) do u guys have a set price that you charge for per sq ft plowed? or another method?

it would be greatly appreciated if someone can help me figure this one out. please pm me if nobody wants to discuss pricing over the public screen. (and if anybody wants to reply with a smart comment, please keep it to yourself). i always see people on here making fun of other people which then leads to an argument. i don't like to see that.

thanks everyone
  2. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i know you said he wants plowing and salting as a seasonal price but it think the salting is risky, due to the shortages last year prices might go haywire if it gets low again and you might get burned bad by it. i cant help you out on the rest as i have never priced that large seasonally but im sure some more knowledgeable people will chime in.. maybe check SIMA out , i learned a lot from it and it get's you in touch with some knowledgeable people and they have different seminars that cover bidding and such that might help you.

i do think to start you should look up average snowfall information to try and get an idea of the number of events to base pricing off of . this site works good for me http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/ussc/USSCAppController?action=station_select&county=true&state=30

also do you have an idea of the sidewalk sq footage to be cleared to get an idea of how long that will take and how much staff youll need.

just out of curiosity and kind of off subject but what do you run for equipment?
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you've been plowing for 9 years you must have some idea of the amount of times you plow /year on average, so use that as your seasonal and add a few plows in for insurance. Seasonal salting can be tricky on the best of years and if I were you I wouldn't start on a year like this. I personally love seasonal contracts, on the average you always come out ahead but you have to know how to bid it. You could find your avg snowfall for the last 10 years and base your price off it and then add a per inch price on anything over that, that's what we do.
  4. witty

witty Junior Member

i have three f-350's with 8 ft plows and also a mason dump w/plow, with v-box. thanks guys for the input, i greatly appreciate it. i checked out the SIMA site earlier and was just wondering about what program to chose from

1) income under 250,000
    2)income over 250,000

do you guys know which program is better that could provide me with more information?

thanks again
  5. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

What option would I click on if I wanted to find out whats the average amount of snow falls?