1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need another professional plowers opinion before I upgrade to this truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by lilsteve08, Nov 27, 2011.

1. lilsteve08

lilsteve08 Senior Member

I currently have a 1989 dodge w-150 and a 1994 dodge 2500 cummins turbo diesel, I found a deal a couple towns over from me and want your honest opinions about this truck I'm going to see, 1999 ford f-250 XLT with less than 40,000 miles on it, really taken car of, never plowed with, and some extra aftermarket add-ons, please don't hold back, I am a professional snow plower and have been 18 years, I've owned a 2001 that I plowed with that seemed to bounce off the snow and to the side when pushing an 8 1/2 foot western ultramount when plowing the streets of a condo I used to do about 6 years ago.

2. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

What motor in the f250? Are you looking to get rid of the dodges or just add to them?

3. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

I have an 04 350. Theres not much difference between the 99 and mine. I have a 9'6" blizzard and My truck does not bounce off the snow or slide. I run 900lbs of ballast and proper snow tires. the 5.4l lacks in the power department but it is reliable. I have 165,000miles and have only replaced a sensor here, selonoid there. change the oil and drive it.

4. lilsteve08

lilsteve08 Senior Member

Thank you for your input, DIESELTECH,I might be selling the 1994 Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel SLT, it has 220,000 miles, good plow truck

5. allstarlawncare

allstarlawncare Member

if it has the 5.4 i dont think you can go wrong. it might have little less power than other motors but it is very reliable and you will be very happy with it.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'd say go for it if the price is right. I don't know why your 01 would be bouncing all over the place. Never had an issue with our 06 with the 5.4L, oh wait, I did have to replace a thermostat last year.....thats it. Mines great to push with, with a couple tons of salt in the back it's a tank.

7. lilsteve08

lilsteve08 Senior Member

Jus when I was trying to windrow snow in the street at the condo, it would slide to the side, had to use my 2000 chevy 3500 dumptruck, which plowed great with good visibility, just overheated a lot and front axle gear oil would drip out of vent tube.? Maybe tires not agressive enough or icy?

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Weight and tire's I bet are problem. Might be biting off more then the truck could chew too!
    A dump with weight would be able to stay in place.

9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I would get it, just beware the truck is over 10 years old and that means some of the rubber or parts might need replacing. Check how rusty it is. Either way, all of the motors were great for that year.

10. lilsteve08

lilsteve08 Senior Member

Thanks for all the positive replies, keep em coming, and please send some snow my way, not 70 degree days or heavy rain like today in Northern New Jersey

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We had 50, wind and rain today. The back side of the front was moving in. OH BOY 20 minutes of snow!

12. fishinRI13

fishinRI13 Senior Member
    from RI

I have an 03 with the 5.4L which is the same exact truck, thing takes a beating with ease. It pushes snow all winter and tows by landscaping trailer and 21 foot fishing boat all summer long. I wouldn't trade the truck for anything. If the price is right go for it!