1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need an est. time on truck terminal

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by odd1or2even, Nov 19, 2009.

1. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

I contacted the manager of this truck terminal down the road from me and he asked me to give him a price. He didn't give me much information and I haven't plowed commercial lots besides one small restaurant before but I'm kind of lost as to find out how long it'd take to plow this lot. I have a 8.2V plow on a GMC 2500 and a 7.6" straight blade on a F150. Also depending on the conditions, how much salt do you think is needed? I'm located in the suburbs an hour west of Philadelphia.

I was estimating less then two hours to plow the lot with both trucks. But wanted to ask people who have more experience. Thank you guys/gals!

Terminal.jpg

2. odd1or2even

I didn't measure it myself but with the meter on the map it measures about 400 feet wide, by about 350 feet deep with the building nearly in the middle of the lot, Also figure about 75 feet or so driving lane around the building.

Of course the trucks are going to be moving around from space to space as they use them for their company so piling snow may change of course as needed. I will be measuring it myself later this week to get a better idea.

Do you think I could use a little piece of heavier equipment on site if in the event of a 6" or more? I have a front end loader but don't have a box for it but was planning on it. Thanks

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

looks like a wide open lot, and assuming you can put snow anywhere where it is open grass, i would say you are good to go with two trucks, the loader well be a good thing when your piles need to be pushed back, and you could definetly do a faster job with a loader and a box, but that is up to you, right now, bringing the two trucks, and the loader occasionally to push up the piles, i think you are right on with your bid.

4. odd1or2even

Salt?

I know salt will vary depending on the weather but how much salt would you think would be needed (on average) after the lot has been plowed? I would estimate it to be about a ton to ton and a half but that's a guess.

Steve

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

20 lbs per 1000 sf

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I use to plow the trucking terminal were I use to work as a dispatcher. It was the same size as the one you show above. It took me & the owners kid 2 1/2 hours from start to finish with 2 8' blades. We wouldn't touch the lot until the storm was over, unless it was over a 10" or more. Even then the Owner would only make a couple passes through the middle of the lot during the middle of the night and let us hammer it out the next morning.

The moving of trailers is something your going to want to ask them about though. It can get time consuming to say the least.

7. mtk469

mtk469 Member

I would say 2-2.5 hours with the trucks you have up to a 6" storm maybe a little longer depending on conditions. Salt will vary but I would guess a ton or a little more is probably fairly close. I am with repoman though. Make sure you know what there plan is for moving the trailers around.

8. odd1or2even

Thank you for your input. I'm going to make a call and get some more details and hopefully put in the bid and get some extra work this winter! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Steve

9. Deco

Deco Senior Member

you asked .......

per push w/ salt $1250. I believe I bidded on this .

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  10. odd1or2even

I spoke with the gentleman and he's interested in having a per push price after the storm. My question for you guys/gals, do you generally break down the amount of snow from salt - 1", then plow and salt 1-3" 3.01"-6" and so on till 12" when you go 9-12" price plus hourly... or should I just go 1-6" then 6-12"? Then the salt, should that be factored into the price I give or give him an estimated 1 ton of salt but depending on the conditions will depend on how much salt I put down?

Then the price break down for the per push.. if it takes an estimated 2 to 2.5 hours per truck (2 trucks for 4-5 truck-able hours) do you pad yourself with an extra hour or just figure "xyz" because that's what it's worth to me to plow that lot?

I'm just trying to get a good idea on the pricing from you guys that have done this many times over then what I have. I appreciate your insight as long as it's constructive. Thanks

Steve

11. Deco

Deco Senior Member

My prices ......$1250 plus material . say 2-3 ton spread .another $675 PerPush.

have a piece on standby for stacking / relocating , priced accordingly