1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need alot of advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MAKINALIVING, Feb 23, 2015.

1. MAKINALIVING

MAKINALIVING Junior Member
    from 37042

1. Looking to do snow plowing work in the winter not sure about summer basically a all around truck.

2. Is one truck Manufacture better than another. I'm keeping the truck for at least 10 yrs.

3. Is there a such thing as a lifetime warranty. I know Chrysler offer that to me for my SRT8.

4. Does all trucks take a snow plow?

5. I'm looking for a truck with great reliability. Was thinking about going new but not sure what brand and do the dealership offers the plow along with the truck?

6. Western plow vs any other plow who the best bang for the bucks .

7. V plow vs straight blade does it really matters . Im doing residential and may move to commercial would like the best of both worlds if its doable.

8. Gas vs Diesel which way to go??? AND dually vs non dually does it matter when pushing snow or just driving in the summer months.

9. My budget is $45k @ 72 months can pay up to $ 800.00 a month for everything.

10. I'm flexible to travel to any state to work.

2. MAKINALIVING

from 37042

Also what ever I get do tires and rim make a different or just stay with the factory setup?

3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, lots of questions. Let me first offer you a welcome to PS as well as to the industry. That being said, you seem to be EXTREMELY "GREEN" to say the least and I think you would probably be much better off going to work for someone in the industry that you can learn from first BEFORE you try to jump headlong into everything. There is SO MUCH to learn and know that it is rediculous. I don't recall the name of the thread, but try using the search function and search for threads to newbies or new to plowing. One of the more seasoned members gave a GREAT list of all the things that go into providing this service and why you really need to consider being an EMPLOYEE before you are an OWNER. Sorry to rain on your parade, not trying to be a buzz kill, but I think from the questions you are asking (about the most basic of things) that that would be your best bet.

4. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Start with a truck payment half that amount. .

5. MAKINALIVING

from 37042

Thank you for the advice. I have to work for myself I'm 100% totally disable veteran that was looking to do something in my spare time.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Then double the payments to pay it off in half the time.

PS Ford with a v plow

7. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Thank you for your service (and sacrifice) for our country. It is greatly appreciated.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ummm,if your disabled are you aloud to work if you collecting gov't checks?

9. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Thank you for your service. I love my 2015 Silverado 2500 with a Fisher XV2. Chevy has a program for vets to get a truck for under the msrp plus whatever offer they are having.

10. MAKINALIVING

from 37042

Yes, Grandview I'm allowed to.

11. MAKINALIVING

from 37042

JoeG3 never knew Chevy had a program for vets. Please tell more. I know some of the salesmen don't have a clue to these programs or they know anything about the trucks that sit on the lots.

12. MAKINALIVING

from 37042

Thank you Derek

13. CHPL

CHPL Member

Maybe look into cost of commercial insurance that covers snow removal before going all in.

14. MAKINALIVING

from 37042

Commercial Ins. You mean regular insurance wont cover my truck? This is all so new to the ole man....

15. CHPL

CHPL Member

Yes talk to your insurance and see what it will cost for general liability and make sure it covers snow removal.

16. MAKINALIVING

from 37042

I notice a lot of business owner don't use dually to push snow. Is it just a personal preference?

17. MAKINALIVING

from 37042

I will CHPL. Thanks for that advice never knew..

18. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

1. Looking to do snow plowing work in the winter not sure about summer basically a all around trucK.
    To make money you have to decide what type of plowing- Residential or Commercial. Both have advantages/disadvantages- Residential a regular cab short box works well. More manueverable.

2. Is one truck Manufacture better than another. I'm keeping the truck for at least 10 yrs.
    1500/150- The GM and Toyota Tundra handle heavier plows past 2012. Dodge and Ford good through 2012.
    2500/250- preferred. Mfg is choice they all make good trucks.

3. Is there a such thing as a lifetime warranty. I know Chrysler offer that to me for my SRT8.
    I would not say so especially if it is commercial use.

4. Does all trucks take a snow plow?
    All plow manufacturers have a plow selector. I would look for a Vplow and plug in the truck manufacturer/year on anything your considering.

5. I'm looking for a truck with great reliability. Was thinking about going new but not sure what brand and do the dealership offers the plow along with the truck?
    Many around here do. I've seen different combination, Ford Boss, Chevy Western, Chevy Blizzard, typically all straight blades.

6. Western plow vs any other plow who the best bang for the bucks .
    Best plow for the money price wise is Snowwdogg- Stainless moldboard but others are following now. This is opinion and you will get all of them. I prefer what I have and it has worked well. Same for most of us. Dealer support is more important if you plow for a living. Go with a good local dealer you can trust do they offer after hours support? Unfortunately for me I don't have one. I'm 5 years on a Dogg with the only issues being a intermittant electrical connection which I think was a cleaning issue. More inportantly being DAV may be mount system. Look at the different videos and determine how they work and which ones you can physically engage and disengage.

7. V plow vs straight blade does it really matters . Im doing residential and may move to commercial would like the best of both worlds if its doable.
    Versatility with V. I do resi and you can do well with a V but the new 7 1/2" V's are appealing from my view for what your looking to do.

8. Gas vs Diesel which way to go??? AND dually vs non dually does it matter when pushing snow or just driving in the summer months.
    Gas for me. 4x4 dually not required. Especially for residential. Shorter vehicle the better. The Dodge 4.7 sucks fuel more than a Hemi. If Dodge go with the Hemi. Can't give any info on others but I would stay with a 5.0 or bigger.

9. My budget is $45k @ 72 months can pay up to $ 800.00 a month for everything.

I wish I had your budget- I was looking last night and I found 2012 2500 with 6000 miles on it for $23K asking add a V under $6K and your golden. That was 2500 GM regular cab 173 miles from me. For $6K about any of the 7 1/2 or 8 foot Vs. Pay it off early...

10. I'm flexible to travel to any state to work.
    Might make sense to be in a state with lots of snow then:) I hear Buffalo NY is pretty consistant.

11. Safty Lighting- get a good quality LED strobe.

12- Insurance- CYA

I'm a vet as well and wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  19. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

The dealers don't want you to know about these programs because they have a lot more paperwork and they get less commission. Go onto Chevy's website and all the way at the bottom there is a link to the military discount program website. You need to make an account and it will give you all the info.

I had a similar discount through my work and I got almost $6k below msrp on a '15 Silverado 2500 LT crew cab loaded.

If you get a 2500 you need at least a 8.5 V or it will be narrower than the truck.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  20. lowflyn

lowflyn Junior Member

The Chrysler lifetime warranty specifically excludes snow plow use. I looked into it after the dealer said it would apply and found that in small writing.

Just my 2 cents for the thread.