1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need advise

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rewoodworking, Jan 21, 2004.

1. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

OK i guy just called me and he want me to be the plow guy at his shopping center the guy that is doing it is to far away and it gets done late in day

my questions are:
    how much and i don't want to charge by the hour
    am i liable if someone gets hurt like falling after i plow
  2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Many factors to consider. 1) trigger depth. 2) square footage of lot. 3) obstacles, islands, cars, time of day to push.4) do they expect you to keep it cleared as it snow during the day or let it come down and push it once(or a combination of #4)insurance.5)liability spelled out in the contract. 5) ice management 6) sidewalks & loading docks.7) were is the snow being pushed to?.

For example after taking all factors into consideration you can estimate your time for a 3" snow multiple that time what you feel your hourly rate should be that would be your 1-2.9" price. My price increases 25% for every 3" increment. Example $300 1-2.9",
    $375 3-5.9", $475 6-8.9", $600 9-12" I round up at every increment. Leave a blizzard clause at the end over a certain amount . I have an additional amount for sidewalks & sand & salt. It works for me.

I'm sure we are going to get lots of different opinions here. And yes I have my flame suit on.
  3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I agree totally with JMR. HOWEVER;) , since it is late in the season, I would say to the customer..."I will charge you $XXX per hour with a X" trigger and a 1 hour minimum with 15 minute billing thereafter. It will cost you $X per ton for salt.

As far as my X'es... $130.00 per hour with a 1" trigger. Salt is $125.00 per ton.

I have a great slip and fall waiver if you want to look at it. Send me your Email and I will zip it to you.
  4. rewoodworking

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

dont forget its x $ per hour per truck. And if you are using a backhoe or bobcat stipulate the hourly price for those. How far away is your salt supply? Are you going to stock salt on site? What type of businesses are in the center and what are their hours? Resturants and bars can be open late, Some businesses open early.

The main point here is to ask yourself , Is this lot too big for me to do? You can get yourself into a world of trouble taking on too much work . If you do go for it find out who the responsible party is and get them to sign a letter of personal guarentee. This will guarentee payment and bypass any corporate shields.
  6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

7. rewoodworking

i talked to the guy again and he is sending me the pricing of what he paid the other guy

its not that big and it is right down the road from my house and business so it will be the first thing i do and the businesses are deli ,health salon,hardware store
  8. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Seeing the other guys price will definitely be an advantage. Still don't under bid the job. Get a fair price. Sell the customer on the better service you will provide. It sounds like a nice lot for you. Hopefully you can land the account. Good Luck payup
  9. rewoodworking

i know i think i have it becouse it is local for me he likes that and i told him i have a skid steer for big snow and he liked that as well
    but i told him skid steer is extrapayup
  10. paponte

paponte Senior Member

A machine is alwyas extra money. You might want to make sure he will not require sand/salt if you are not equipped. I would also give a price based on sqft and not hourly. :cool:
  11. rewoodworking

what is the rate on li per sq ft
  12. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Rate can not be based on square footage alone. Time to push X the hourly rate you charge.

Rate determined by your cost of doing business plus your profit.
  13. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Can't agree with that. Even if I was charging $200. per hour, I would still make out better charging per sqft. I have alot of lots that are pushed in under or about 45min. There is NO WAY I would touch them for $75. Sqft. X inches increments.is hte way to go. :nod:
  14. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I'm not saying not to base on square footage, but you must also consider many other factors. I have a lot, completely fenced, that all the snow must be moved to a spot outside the fence portion. Very time consuming. This is a factor. One of many to consider.
  15. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Agreed 100% That would be all at additional costs. I would consider that snow "removal", which would be billed at a different rate. I'm talking for straight plowing. :cool:
  16. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

All my hourly billing is in full hours so if i work 2 hours and 10 mins they get billed for 3 hours
  17. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

If you have or can get another driver, talk them into plowing every inch during the day at least. It is easier and quicker to move 1 inch than 3.

you will make alot of $

I do that for an apartment complex. Set price for a run though and 1.5 times the price for the final. You just have to sell it to them.

I make 5k on a 3 inch storm because of that.-2 trucks

The only down side is long hrs, have another driver. I did 12 hrs, slept for 1 hr and back out for another 11 hrs. I will be looking for a nother driver if it takes that long again.
  18. mole

mole Senior Member

19. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

Plow Meister - I would love to get a copy of your slip and fall waiver.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
  20. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Redwood, make sure you think the price is fair when you find out what he was paying. I picked up a realty business last year. Just to see if he would tell me, I asked him what he was paying the previous guy. He told me $50.00 My buddy's dad works at the joint so I asked him to investigate that price for me. He called me that afternoon and said the previous guy was getting paid $100.00! The owner was trying to save a little money behind my back but it didn't work. I told him that I would charge $100.00. I ended up getting the account and it only takes about 20 minutes to do. Be sure to think about the price!:waving: