1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Advise-Wrangler or Cherokee?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by whitelite, Mar 3, 2010.

1. whitelite

whitelite Member

Put into use this snow season a Jeep Wrangler as a backup. :)But love it so much we parked the diesel truck. (haven't seen a storm this year that the Jeep couldn't handle). Much faster and easier to turn and get into tight driveways.

Anyway, looking to purchase another Jeep, and park another diesel truck. Question: is the Wrangler's turning radius that much better than a Cherokee? Thought about the Cherokee for hunting, carrying more gear and after season being able to get more than one passenger in the vehicle (took the back seat out on the Wrangler for gear and balast).

The Wrangler is fabulous for plowing driveways, but not for a multi-purpose vehicle as much. Don't want to give up too much, so was thinking about the Cherokee.

Anyone out there have both?

What advise can the experts give me, Pro's and Cons'.ussmileyflag

Thanks

2. whitelite

whitelite Member

Forgot to mention, I'm partial to manual transmissions. wesport

Thanks,

3. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Just added a Cherokee to the mix-for the very same reasons as you mention. No snow since purchase-but have taken out to drives that are tight-and is almost as good as the Wrangler. I am happy w/the 6 1/2 blade-thought about a 7 or 7 1/2-but would have greatly effected the turning radius at the base of drives.

Lookimg to put air shocks on the front-trying to hunt down #'s for shocks that will fit.

4. whitelite

whitelite Member

I too have 6 1/2 blade to put on my next vehicle. It's a complete older Meyer that was hardly used. Got if from a guy that had it on a S-10 Chevy Blazer. He only did his driveway, so that part is done except for the mount. (probably will just modify the one I've got.)

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I use wranglers. I thought about a Cherokee, the turning radius is like 3 Ft larger. the next time you plow and back up in a tight place think "what if the jeep was like 3 Ft longer" That kept me from buying the Cherokee, and the sitting position your much more upright in the Wrangler.

6. whitelite

whitelite Member

Thanks for the thoughts and I totally agree, you are right. Your comments are what my delima is all about. Love the Wranglers for plowing, but would also like to have more room and still not be too big. Cherokee seems to be a good compromise. There just doesn't seem to be a perfect all-round vehicle for everything I would like. :) I guess I'm still undecided.:confused:

7. theplowmeister

from MA

All around means not good at anything, but usable at everything.

8. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Plow with the storm

9. whitelite

whitelite Member

:confused: What does that mean in regards to getting a Cherokee or Wrangler?

10. whitelite

whitelite Member

Never heard of this quote. I probably wouldn't say that a Cherokee is not good at anything, as it has some outstanding qualities don't you think?:)

11. theplowmeister

from MA

a Compromise means, you end up with something that doesn't do anything rely exultant and you end up with something that is... poorer at everything

12. theplowmeister

from MA

exultant scratch that... excellent

13. DScapes

DScapes Member

i'm really digging the jeep setup. i've got a 2500hd and after only a month of advertising this past year gained a decent amount of work to the point where i was debating with commercial vs. residential...

i picked up about 30 drives (most were existing lawn/landscape accounts that were happy I finally made it into snow removal, so I was in the dilema of leaving our sub-work with the truck to tend residentials who preferred AM plows before work...(who I need to maintain strong relationships with for the year-round services!)

Every storm this past year I kept thinking "Oh, I could use another truck",, but I know if I get that 2nd truck i'm still going to want to dedicate those to commercials and salting(even subbing for commercial), rather than cutting back for the residentials...

So i've decided I need a dedicated driveway machine that I wont be tempted with commercial work!!

I'm not one to run a universal truck(driveway setup AND commercial setup), I try to use the right tool for the job in anything we do to be most efficient to minimize costs in any way we can...

would love to look into possibly compact tractors with blowers but the noise may be a problem servicing customers through the night with a blaring thrower/tractor...

mmmm... jeep keeps looking better and better

14. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys
    For whats its worth, this year I bought a Wrangler to do driveways with. I still use both of our full size Chevys on commercial work. Little Blue as we call the jeep is great for Driveways and some very small commercial we do. One downside is this jeep is a 4 cylinder/ stick and she doesn't have enough balls to stack snow real high. Now to be fair Im use to stacking snow with my 2500HD with a 8.5 Boss and that truck can do some stacking. The other issue is my man driving the jeep hasn't been in a plow truck for over 6 years, so he is learning everything again. I am more than happy with the jeep and hope to have Little Blue around for a few years doing nothing but driveways and me using her to drive around in the summer with Little Blue top down. I did upgrade the alt and all of the wiring that goes with it.

Regards Mike

IMG_6069.jpg

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We are considering a driveway/tiny lot devoted truck. I know it's a little off topic but we're considering a short wheel base full size PU (reg cab shortbed, both Chevy and Dodge make one) hoping to carry a little more blade and avoid the underpower/underweight issues. Thinking that removing the tailgate will allow good 360 visability. Any of you ever tried this? Any thoughts?

16. theplowmeister

from MA

I've NEVER run out of power EVER. I run out of traction.
    I read allot where people think that 1.5 feet shorter is going to make "a good driveway rig"
    if you think 1.5 feet make a difrence.... try 6 feet shorter, get a jeep for driveways and small lots. suddenly plowing is fun again and you will have more time to add more driveways.

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not me:nono: I hate drives have always hated drives and will probably always hate drives, I will have a paid driver doing it. I've tried subbing this work out but it never works out. They need bailed out, they don't show up, they do a s(*&y job, They destroy things, they decide they want more money (the day before it snows:gunsfiring:,) their truck breaks down, their plow breaks down, you get an insurance cancellation notice, they go out of town, they run out of gas, they get stuck, They cannot plow without a beer cooler, they start doing all the neighbor's drives for chump change pocket money, are late everywhere else and lower the price of drives in the entire neighbor hood, ...... select any two above. Only doing this to satisfy a requirement of other larger/full season contracts.

18. theplowmeister

from MA

Basher have you ever used a Wrangler to plow a driveway?

Guess I've been very lucky Ive had 2 subs plowing with my jeep and they have both been on time, dependable, consciences, done good work. and NOT busted up my stuff.

19. theplowmeister

from MA

Look at my sig. I have been plowing for 23 years this is the only jeep that I changed the rear end on (for off roading) ALL (4) of my other jeeps have been stock. My friend who plows mansions ins a very up scale town has 4 jeeps that are stock. I add air shocks and ballast and duel batteries biger alt.
    I had a sub with an F250 that I had to pull out of snow banks. I think its the driver.

but this is the internet

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We've used both a CJ5 and CJ7 in the past, good vehicles, loved the CJ5, turn on a dime and the three speed is made for plowing drives:nod: still have one (61 CJ5) but don't want to put it to that kind of use.

I agree about drivers.

My issue isn't with people I've hired to drive my vehicles. It's with the ones wanting to sub, who have their own equipment but no work that seen to be notoriously un-reliable. They all have their own agenda and need constant baby-sitting. They start finding their own work and renege on their commitment to me. I figure I might as well not pay the extra dollars, . Be cheaper to just pay a driver $25/30 an hour and invest the money in equipment and have tighter control.

This is most certainly the Internet:nod: