1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need advise on buying a 97 super duty

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by fatheadon1, Jan 1, 2013.

1. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

2. 992door

992door Junior Member
    from NC

Worth the money probably. Get paperwork stating that the motor has been replaced if it has been. Just the normal things to look for like look under it for obvious fluid leaks, let it warm up and drive it listen and feel for anything that seems out of place, when you drive it go through different ranges of speed (if they do not want you to go a certain speed I would be hesitant they may be hiding something), check to see if the frame or other suspension parts are badly rusted,

Find out what needs to be done to fix it
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

check the heads and manifolds they like to rot 460 has alot of power terrible on fuel seems like a good deal the superduty are easy to make into a 4x4 easyer than a 2wd f350
  4. mackclmodel

mackclmodel Senior Member

x2. They make killer plow trucks even though there 2wd. My first truck I plowed in was a 95' Superduty with the BB. Mileage sucks but will pull a mountain.
  5. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

Yea I'm just looking to throw a good set of tires on it and run it 2wd because I never use 4wd in my other trucks anyways. I'm emailing the guy now and ill let you guys know wht the outcome is.
  6. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

First plow truck was a 90 f350 with the 7.5. The truck would push or pull anything. I only needed 4x4 to pull a stuck truck out of 10" of snow. A lot of parts are cheap when available. I paid $65 for a starter. I would put 3 tons of salt in it at a time.

The cons are it was slow. I got somewhere between 4-6 mpg. Some parts are hard to come by and have to be ordered.
  7. PPP

PPP Member

I have that exact truck with an automatic. The 4-6mpg is about right. The 15k gvw is awesome. Parts are relatively cheap and readily available through any Napa. I'm on my 3rd set of exhaust manifolds and I've done an oil pan on the 460. The brakes need to be taken apart and the caliper slides lubed up every so often. They are prone to sticking. Also make sure the e-brake works as its mounted to the tailshaft of the transmision. They do go and are pricey to replace. Overall a great truck with minimal problems.