1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advise on anti skid .

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Davethelandlord, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Davethelandlord

Davethelandlord Junior Member

I am a rural landlord in central pa. ( not a contractor )
    I own a property with a gravel lane. ( about a half mile long and most of it is on a steep hill side )
    I have a local contractor that plows the lane but he does not have spreader on his truck, so I spread anti skid myself.
    Since I do not live on site, I am thinking about placing anti skid in some sort of containers around the property so my tenants can help themselves when the road gets a little slick.
    I gathered up a few 55 gallon drums, but not sure the best way to set them up.
    Will the anti skid freeze inside the drums?
    Is there a better way ? Any input would be appreciated.
    Btw, the anti skid I use is small chunks of gravel.

Thanks.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't use straight salt on gravel, you'll have a muddy mess on your hands!

Use a 90/10 sand/salt mix it should be fine the barrels as long as your tenants keep them covered.

3. Davethelandlord

Davethelandlord Junior Member

I've heard of people using the 55 gallon drums laying them down on there sides on some type of wood stand filled with either sand or anti skid, but how do you keep the rain out ? Or should I not be concerned with water getting inside?
    Is sand better than I anti skid that I use now ?