1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advise on a new big V spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CPSS, Feb 4, 2003.

1. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

We just purchased a 1994 F-700 Ford diesel cab and chassis ( used to have a large box on it), and are going to make it a flat bed/ salt spreader. Currently use a 1.5 yd MONROE gas V spreader on a pickup. Need more capacity as now we have to fill up 2 or 3 times to salt all our lots once. The new truck has 20' of bed rails now and we plan to cut it down to 10 or 12 feet. Any suggestions on a larger V box spreader? The truck has a PTO and air brakes, but no central hydraulics. Any ideas? How much? Tarrant Mfg in Saratoga Springs is only 10 mins away and was thinking of heading there but don't know much about the larger spreaders.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

is this truck to be a dedicated winter truck for snow removal?
    If you need it to just snad a few lots just get a good gas spread in my opinion then you can control the floe better hydraulic ones tend not to spread much when you let off the gas.

3. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

CPSS-

My friend did work on this Ford (not sure on the model #). The owner mounted the spreader, and put the belt driven pump on. This is a tarco (tarrant mfg) spreader and it works good after some work. You can have it so it will spread a lot at idle with some tuning. This spreader will move a lot of salt.

Tarrant Mfg would probably be a good place to bring the truck and have them transform it, as far as hydraulics (if you chose to go that route). They put Pelicans truck together so i'm sure they could setup your truck.

Bryan

pc2800021.jpg

4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Thanks Snow, thats kind of what I was thinking. I just didnt know if there was any spreader to steer away from, or which seemed the best.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I was going to say stick with Monroe, but if you're that close to another manufacturer\outfitter I'd probably go with them. Our Monroe dealer is a 1/2 mile away. We're using a clutch pump on our F800 (which is the 650 now) which runs our tailgate spreader, dump box and plows. It is a great setup.

6. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i would get a tenco dump bed spreader.its around the same price as a big v and all the mods you would have to do with the truck.i got one on my f350 holds 3.3 but i get a solid 4 1/2 yards in it.i put one on my L9000 that bed was rather large for your truck but it came with everything for around 17,000 i think a regular season one goes for 23,000 painted.it holds about 10 yards.i think the one they make for the smaller fords hold between 5 and 7 yards.there around 13,000-18,000 i maybe high in these prices its just good guess.they also have pre wet systems for these beds that hold 160 gallons.the tilt,dump and spread on the big boy works off the pto the higher u rev the farther out it spreads.but at regular speeds doing 10 20 mph it spreads about 30 to 40 feet.my f350 works off a hydro pump under the hood.just something to look into if you wanna get more use out of it year round.

7. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Mike I understand your idea. We are a commercial electricial contracting company and really have no use for a dump truck. We were thinking a flat bed, or stake body would be usefull for us off season.

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

CPSS, the Tarrant's are good people, and great to deal with.

They build a good product too, I've had no down time (knock, knock) since I've had my truck. With them being so close by, I don't think I'd even look at another manufacturer. Tarrant also services what they sell.

9. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I agree. Tarrant Mfg is a great place to start. Talk to Jeff. He was much help in getting us setup and taken care of. They make a quality product also.

Rick

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

How are Tarrant's electric spreaders ? does any one have them are they better or same quality as the smith?They really don't have any info on them as far the motor goes on there web site.

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

CPSS, I ran into John Tarrant today at Connex, and told him what you were looking for. He said it's no problem, stop on in.

I can't say much about the electric motor, but the construction of their V-box looks as good as anyone else's. From what I've seen of their work, they stay on the safe side and overbuild just a little.

12. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Just got a quote, what do you all think?

Stainless Steel
    10' long hopper
    6' wide at top
    4' high
    Capacity of 4.75 cubic yards
    Includes screens, 10.5 HP Briggs engine, in cab controls, we will install ourselves. Cash and cary price $5620. If we didnt want stainless it's $1000 less. I think the stainless is the way to go. Tarrant makes them right here in Saratoga County.

13. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

CPSS-

that doesn't seem to bad for that spreader. It's handy that they build them locally if you have a problem you can bring it right back to the builder.

Good luck.

Bryan

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

If you plan to keep it for any length of time, spring for the stainless. A steel unit will last you about 5 years before you have to start major repairs on the box itself, stainless will last indefinately.