1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice:

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by snowwolfe, Dec 6, 2009.

1. snowwolfe

snowwolfe Junior Member

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 4x4 1500 series (60K miles) so the truck is like in almost new cond. (seriously) but I'm having an issue with the weight of the plow pulling the front end down too close to the ground which cause's it to bottom out/scrape the ground quite a bit.

It's has an 8' Western steel blade (commercial grade) with a conversion kit and the newer style/quick mount combined.

Can anyone recommend a 1/2 way cheap fix that will lift the front-end up to keep me from bottoming out coming out of drives/lots & hitting curbs when pushing snow? :dizzy:

Springs? Shocks? Lift? Combo?

It's the conversion kit that sits too close to the ground when I lift the plow (and even when it's not lifted) - this is my 1st yr plowing on my own and if I had known this was going to be a problem - I would have bought a different style/newer type plow but that's outta the question for the time being.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Does dodge use a independent front suspension??

If they do, buy timbrens from any automotive store; should be around $175-$210 for the kit. Installs easy.

If they use a solid axle on the front buy airbags for around $250-$300. Best part about airbags is you can control the ride within seconds.

3. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Is the conversion kit configured correctly?

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

we sell a kit just for this. called truxxx. goto truxxx.com and have a look. installs easy. better than timbren.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You have the recommended ballast weight in the rear of the bed of the truck? It counteracts the weight of the plow on the front end.

7. snowwolfe

snowwolfe Junior Member

Thanks guys - I believe I'll go with the truxxx leveling kit as it seems to be the best option for my issue. Ballast doesn't solve the problem (I wish it did) but the conversion kit is too low to the ground even when the plow is down/not on the truck.