1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sdcoston, Jan 8, 2008.

1. sdcoston

sdcoston Junior Member

I am a new homeowner in the vicinity of Pagosa Springs, CO. My home has a fairly steep driveway and is about 1/6 mile long. Recently, I experienced 24" snow fall in one night and was having a very hard time getting in and out. The guy who plows the main road with a grader refuses to go up my driveway despite his very large chained tires ... he's afraid of getting stuck. He did come in once with a backhoe after a 36" snowfall a few weeks back to get me in, but charged 500.00 for the service.

I own a 1985 Toyota Landcruiser FJ-60 that has a spring-over-axle lift and I have good chains on my 35" tires. I am able to get up the driveway in this even after the 2 ft of fresh snow, but it is somewhat hairy and no one with a more traditional vehicle can get up it.

My question is if it is possible at all to mount a snowplow to the lifted Landcruiser so I could plow down the hill after such a large snowfall, and thus keep the driveway open.

If so, what type of plow would be recommended. I'm not trying to get into the business, but probably will need a heavy duty plow for my needs, yes?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sean Coston
  2. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Yes you can. You might need to modify the mounting brackets. Fisher makes good 6.5 or 7 foot plow. You can find em used pretty cheap. Or you can go with a V plow but probably only find new and are pricey. The Tacome/sr5 mount should fit though.