1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim Baden, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Tim Baden

Tim Baden Member

I am looking at buying a chevy 2500HD
    but not sure what plow or what size to put on it.It's got to be a western or boss plow just me preferance.Going to be doing residential and some small commercial.
    Western plow 8'pro or 8.5' v plow.
    Boss 8'2" v plow.
    What would be your suggestion?
    Thanks for the help.
  2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm in the same boat as you. Residential, and small commercial, and one big commercial. I have a straight blade, but you can bet when I get a new truck, it's getting a V-plow. Boss and Western are both good... but I would definately go with a V.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Id go with Western V only if the ultra mount was available,and an 8.5 straight blade if you dont buy a V,it only weighs 20 lbs more than the 8fter,and costs 100 bucks mre,this will be quickly made up in time saved.If you go with a Boss,consider the 9'2",it doesnt weigh much more,and if you go on the Boss site,and put your configuration in,I bet they show it as an option,the 9 fter will save you time,and only costs about 150 more than the 8 fter.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

for what it counts, i put an 8 ft fisher straight blade on my chevy 2500HD. just remember the ultramount frame will hang down lower on the truck.
  5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Tim: if your going for a blade and mount that are built to take hard usage go with the "Boss". Their system is easy to service and very durable. "Boss" has been great on keeping their buyers & dealers updated on any service problems or safety recalls.
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Garagekeeper stole my thunder. When I was shopping, I was impressed with Boss' design and construction. I think they've got about the best V plow going. A V plow will save you a bunch of time over a straight blade.
  7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I have, 2001 Chevy 2500 HD LS, 8.5 Western MVP V plow. Great combo!! For some reason Chevy loves to keep the torsion bars at thier lowest setting from the factory. So you will need up crank them a few turns. The V is great for getting between cars and other places you cant push snow off to the side. Would never be cought here in Buffalo w/o out a V.
    The truck has plenty of power to spare. Remember when buying a truck power is nice but for plowing its the traction you need to worry about. I've had all 4 spinning but truck standing still. Of cource not many of you have to plow 7ft sotrms... lol :D
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

If John D's and my experience with new boss plows is any indication, stay away far away from them. I have had more issues in a season with 10" of total snow fall with a new boss plow, than in 5 seasons plowing with a western MVP.
    If it was me, just get the MVP no matter what mount style it has.
    Of course they took down the boss forum, so you cant go back and read all the bad press.
  9. Winterworks

Winterworks PlowSite.com Veteran

"If John D's and my experience with new boss plows is any indication, stay away far away from them."
    Out of all the good comments and positive posts regarding the Boss V plow, only two of you seemed to have any real problems. That to me speaks volumes.
  10. SCL

SCL Senior Member

It should spoeak volumes! Dino is one of those guys that won't BS you and pushes a little more than his neighbor's driveway every storm. I take his advice strongly and personally would rather have the Western or my beloved Fisher anyday.

as i learned when i was looking to buy the which manufacturer question is kind of like opening the chevy vs. ford discussion... you`ll find everyone has there favorites and everyone has had their problems..the biggest thing ive heard is a hinge ripping problem on the boss v plow..personally i have a boss straight blade with the smart hitch 2, i really like it but mainly because im the guy doing just the neighbors driveways to make a few extra bucks, so for me the ease of putting a plow on and taking it off in lightning fast time so i dont have to haul it all over causing unnecassary wear is my biggest reason for going with boss...also in my area the boss dealer was about $800 dollars cheaper to the comparible western setup..but i think in the end you`ll find its best to look them both over and make the decision for yourself..one of the biggest factors should probably be which dealer in your area will take care of you best, stocking parts,etc..good luck!!!!!Rich
  12. Redhat

Redhat Junior Member

I have a 2001 2500HD with a Boss 8.2 V and Love it! I just spend the weekend in northern Mi plowing where they had over 12 inches of snow sat night.Plowed all day sunday.If you do go with the Boss V I would recommend getting the smartlock cyclinders from the getgo if you plan to do res drives where back dragging is needed.The reason I say from the start is because they will cost you a cool $600.00 bucks to install later. I also turned torsion bars up and put load Boosters on the front.Love the Boss
  13. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I have a BOSS and am not happy with it. Very weak!! Used it twice and is twisted and beat.

Not very happy. My dealer is no help either.
  14. Plowguy99

Plowguy99 Junior Member

Just my two cents....

I have had two 8' Boss Straight Blades. The only problem I have ever had is with the roll pins on the new Smart Hitch, but Boss has already taken care of this issue. I have a 99 "old style" Chevy 2500 with the snow plow prep package. All I have done is crank up the torsion bars a few turns and add a second battery. I would get the plow prep package on the truck. I had a 91 2500 without this and it sat pretty low in the front even after cranking up the torsion bars.
  15. John DiMartino

Winterworks,your wrong when you say we are the only ones having these problems,all the things that happened to mine were happening to others as well.If they are getting used commercially they will have similar problems.It took over 3 weeks to get a center hoof from boss,this is just to long in my opinion,we could have had 4 or 5 storms in that time.All i know is everytime it was supposed to snow,or i used it,i had to work on it,as in perform repairs,not maintance,repairs,while my 6 yr old western and my 7-and 9 yr old MM fishers didnt need any type of repairs at all.There are still unresolved things wrong with my plow that i wont be able to get fixed under warranty, because of the lack of snow here.My wings fold in real easy,i adjusted them,but we havent had any snow in over a month,i got a small hydro leak that only leaks when its being worked for a while,cant find that with no snow either,and its not coming out the overflow,i already checked that.I had an open mind when i bought the boss,I paid full price, I didnt get a break,or a special deal on it,my experience told me to buy a Fisher/Western,but I really wanted to try something different,so I gambled and lost this time.
  16. Winterworks

What I was saying before all of you get you panties in a knot, is that you are forgetting all the complimentary posts on Boss plows. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that there seem to be far more satisfied Boss customers than unsatisfied. I have several of them and have yet to encounter the problems mentioned, even with employees using them. This is not to say they do not have their faults, I just get a little tired of the bashing I guess.
  17. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I do not think he is bashing. John is a veteran plower and member here. He is relaying information from him and others as to why he was not satisfied with the plow. This is what people need to think about before buying.
  18. John DiMartino

Winterworks,my panties arent in a knot,im just tryimg to warn others,to what happened to me,I bought the Boss mainly because it mounted so easy(which it does),I hated the uni-mount ,and didnt want another mount that took that long to get on.Where i am the 8'6" Fisher V was 300 more than the 9'2" Boss,and they were very hard to get.If a product has worked well for me,I'm always willing to tell others,but when i have problems with a product,I will let others know,just so they know going in what could happen,If the plow requires any more repairs at the rate it is now,I'm just going to sell it at a loss,and buy a Western V,with the ultra mount when they become available ,its only money,i cant afford to be down for a storm,being down would cost much more,Im also tired of running for parts after every event,I do that with all my equipment,whether its one yr old or 10,when it gets unreliable,its gone.I wanted to replace my older Fisher next yr,not because its unreliable,but i want a bigger plow,its only a 7.5 ft.I may need to replace the Boss first,though.CT 18,thank you for backing me.
  19. Winterworks

Ok before I get ganged up on I will retract my earlier comments. I apologize for offending Dino and John. Ill go back to plowing my neighbours driveway.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2002
  20. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I seem to agree with you a lot John. For those that I don't always agree with I still respect their opinions. Lots of experience here so that even other esperienced people can learn. I know I often learn new information on this site. Another reason why I think the choice for manufacturers to bail was wrong.