1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 2002F150, Sep 25, 2015.

1. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

Hello folks, I am new to the scene and will be plowing for the first time this winter.. no more snow blower.. LOL

Few questions here..

I need good winter tires. i read on it a bit and seems like Cooper Discoverer M+S is the way to go. They are cheap and are good. Now my question is,

I have 295/75/16 on my truck at the moment. how big and what size should i buy for the Cooper Discoverer M+S? 16's for sure but do i go lower than 295?

Also looking to buy a plow. I will be doing residential lot, between 50 - 60 is my target this winter. What do you recommend to put on my 1999 F-250, v8?

With the plow you are suggesting should i upgrade the front end ? or will the stock front end hold up?

Also, i need to do an oil change before the winter gets here should i go synthetic is it better for plowing or just better in general. also since i just bought the truck few months ago should i have the trany oil checked?

I am in canada here Quebec/gatineau any recommendation as to where to have the oil changed? I was thinking mr.Lube, or there is Oil exchanger in ottawa.

Anything else i need to get done before the season starts.

Am not too mechanic savvy so all has to probably be done.. :mechanic:

Any tips and tricks on plowing are welcome to make my first year a success :)

Thank you

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That's the heavy half 250 7700lb truck. IMO nothing bigger then 8'

If you just bought this truck, you need to go through it. It could need lots of items.
    I'd have all the fluids done, oil, trans, transfer, diffs, and maybe coolant and brake fluid. Belt and a/f look good? Plugs, wires, or coil boots?

3. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

I got it checked, Mechanic is good. I got what needed to be done, front and back seal, seal in transfer case got changed so am assuming oil as well.

battery post changed, I dont want tog o bigger than 8 that is for sure Residential driveway do need more than 7.5-8 I would think.

What i am wondering is the brand to go with? First time plowing is there a beginner one i should look for ?

Brakes are squeaking so I am thinking maybe that pads are warned out so i will have that checked.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  4. dieselss

What i am wondering is the brand to go with? First time plowing is there a beginner one i should look for ?

As always answered.....what dealers are in your area? What dealers are willing to talk to you, work with you, and are able to service, and stock everything you may need.

Is the charging system up to par? Biggest battery you can put in there? Biggest alternator? Bigger wiring?

Didn't say anything about the front end?

5. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

There is a Fisher dealer and a boss dealer close to me. both wanting to sell me plows... does it mean it's for my own benefit what they are selling me no.. That is why i am here asking for advice not from someone trying to make money.

So i need a big battery, big alternator and bigger wiring I am confused..

6. dieselss

Telling someone what plow time get is impossible. Both plows you mentioned are good choices. Kick the tires on both brands.

Upgrading your charging system is a good thing. Plows use a lot of electricity, along with all the other juice you running on your truck. More capacity, more output, less strain on the systems.

7. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

I'm selling a saltdogg md75 off my 08 superduty. Only thing that wouldn't match up would be the truck mount. I'm positive the headlight harnesses didn't change from 99 to 08. It's in great shape, I'm upgrading to western mvp. I'm in detroit.

8. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Go Cooper 235 / 85 / 16.... if they are still available .Thumbs Up

9. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

ty so going from 295/75/16 is ok?

10. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

The skinnier the tire the better for snow plowing. 235/85 is about the same height as yours.

11. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

Candian tire has LT 235/85/16 120/116Q

I am assuming going smaller (wide wise) from 295 to 235 it would make it better for snow traction?

what is Ideal the 235? if i go 235/75/16 would that work too ?

12. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

Thanks

But if it says LT infront of the 235 is that still good ? Wish i didinèt lose my brotehr last year... he knew all about this stuff :(

13. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

LT stands for light truck tire which is what you want. If it says P that stands for passenger which you do not want.

14. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

Thank you, I wish I would get more info on all i asked. :(

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

235/75/16 won't be as tall as 235/85/16.
    Google how tire sizes work. It's easy to understand.
    Don't go less then 8'. The difference from 7.5 to 8 is probably 20lbs.

16. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Get a good set of AT tires if you want to use it year around without having to buy a separate set of tires and rims. I assume you have four wheel drive.

Get a plow that fits your application Boss, Western, Fisher, Meyer, Buyers they are all good. I personally wouldn't be without a Vplow as it fits to almost anything you would run into.

If you are watching money get a snowdogg plow if the dealer is close they are cheaper, stainless steel and great plows.

As for oil run whatever your truck is intended to use, in your case 5-30 non synthetic although synthetic would not hurt it just extends your oil change intervals as it holds up longer.

The biggest thing is to have a friend or backup truck for when a breakdown happens because it will, nothing you can do about it.

I have F350's running snowdogg vx85 (8.5') plows and had "add a leaf" springs added to the front to keep the plow from hitting the ground while driving. If you have a 99 im sure your springs are worn out.

Everything aside, you could go spend all kinds of money making the ultimate truck but if your route doesnt pay for it you are losing money.

17. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

Awesome advice! thank you! Sadly closest Dealer is about 1 hour and 30 min away! :( Ill see if i can look into something closer with a different company.

18. slave2lawns

slave2lawns Member

sk187 gave you excellent advise