1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by M & MD Lawn, Jul 1, 2013.

1. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

Hey guys,

I in the market for another truck and have been looking at Fords, Chevys and GMC's. I want a diesel next so that is what I am going to get. Buying new is just not in the budget right now as I am graduating college in december and also trying to expand the company in lieu of graduating.

My question is about the ford. I have had my eye on a 2005 F250 Powerstroke. the dealer has had it since april and just had a large price drop about 5000. Truck has 88,... miles on it. I am a chevy man at heart but this seems like a good deal and I have toyed with trying a ford, never hurts to try new things, after all I could always go back.

soooo with my research I know I should get an Oasis report on the truck, I think I read ford dealers will do it free? I just wanted to get some input from some ford owners on how they have worked for you all and things I should look out for!! I know they had problems out of the 6.0 although they say it was in the early years, I know about the tty bolts but beyond that, what else. any help is really appreciated, Its my first truck purchase!

Thanks in advance guys, this will be my daily driver for work and running back and forth to school (1 hr away) and of course its getting a plow.

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I just sold my 07 F350 6.0 diesel plow truck. I will get another ford but by no means am a ford guy. They all suck, cost to much and eventually break down. It only had 87,000 miles on it but all in all it was a great truck. I had no major engine issues with it. The only thing in the engine was some turbo housing was getting gummed up and they eventually repalced it and all was good. Ujoints balljoints and tierods were all done also. This past winter the clutch fan went out. I did buy the extended warranty and am glad I did. I am one of the lucky ones I guess but I would buy another one.

On a side note I see you will be using it as a daily driver as well. I commute a lot for my regular job and I have a small car that I drive unless I need the truck. Everything is cheaper on a small car, tires brakes, maintence, and of course the mileage is way better. Just in fuel it more than double to drive my truck. 15 mpg at 4.00 a gallon or 30+ mpg and 3.40 or so a gallon. Trust me I know the truck is nicer and more fun to drive but bottom line bottom dollar. This is just my 2 cents. Good luck on the truck purchase.

3. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

If it was in the budget I would buy a car also, but its not, its only room for one and the truck may cost more, but it also makes money. And since I will be done with school in december, I will stomach it until then. When Im home all I do is work, so I am in my current truck all the time, as I will be the next one.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would buy a 6.0 that was used / owned by a private party. I noticed our trucks at the ambulance company start having problems at about 155,000. These trucks have many drivers and idle for long periods. Which causes problems with the EGR system. Just keep in mind the price to own a diesel. It takes 14 to 16 quarts oil and $50 in filters. The price of fuel and parts are high. I love to drive a great running 6.0 - But, they can screw you big time on repairs!
    One guy I know gets 20 MPG on an unloaded crew cab F-250 - 4x4 on the highway. Our ambulances get 16 (loaded down ) in the city / highway equal mix.

5. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

6.0s are great trucks as long as they've had an egr delete and head studs installed. You can pick up a decent 6.0 normally for under blue book since everyone is scared of them. My mechanics cousin is a ford diesel tech and ways told me to make the 6.0s work and they'll be fine, I've had 3 with no problems and loved them. Good luck!

6. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Makes sense then on nit getting a car. Let us know what you get.